Heart Strings

🎼

🎵🎶🎶

🎶

🎵🎵

Jason followed her to the police station. It was their weekly routine; every Friday, she would ask for updates on her missing husband. The answer was always silence. He was foolish to believe she would give up. 

Jason pulled down his cap. He would tell her. He had to. When he was sure they were a safe distance from the police station, he picked up his pace. "Astrid....." He gulped, clenching his fists. Her footsteps stopped but she didn't turn around. He was afraid she had recognized his voice. Even if it had been seven years, there was still a chance she would. "I......" No words dared to come out. 

"Is he alive?" Her voice was devoid of any emotions. Her shoulders trembled but not a single tear hit the ground. She didn't turn around or make any movements. It was as if time had frozen. Jason wondered if she knew.

"I'm sorry-"

"You should be. You should have stayed dead." Jason watched her walk away, not moving an inch. Her words, her cold and spiteful words, made his heart ache. He knew those were her last words to him. This was their goodbye. Jason wiped the tears from his cheeks, disappearing into the shadows. 

He should have remained a shadow. 

"We can't be like before. You can't meet my family - ever. To them you are dead and ......I want it to be that way........Please don't meet Astrid."  Jason laughed at Ronowa's words. 

"If that's what you want," Ronowa relaxed by his promise. "See yah around," Jason gave him a short hug before grappling into the night. His smile disappeared the moment he was out of sight. He should be happy for his friends yet there was bitter feeling of betrayal. 

'Please don't meet Astrid.'

He knew his relationships could not be the same as six years ago but to think they would become so bitter. He couldn't be happy for his friends. Jason couldn't lie to himself no matter how hard he tried. He wanted to meet Astrid. If she had been in Gotham before he met Ronowa, he would have met her first. 

Never had he imagined his girlfriend and best friend would be married while he would have to be a shadow in their life. 

It had been six years. 

So of course they wouldn't wait. 

A/N:

Thank you for reading and be safe!

🎼

🎵🎶🎶

🎶

🎵🎵