A Selfish Tune

🎼

🎵🎶🎶

🎶

🎵🎵

He grappled through the rain, ignoring the pain in his abdomen. The thought of her lifeless body in his arms terrified him. If he had never returned - No if he had not been selfish, she would have left the filthy city long ago. He foolishly tried to fill the gap of six years when he simply should have continued to stay dead.

"Stop smoking," he smacked the cigarette out of Jason's hand.

"You smoke more than I do," Jason pulled out another cigarette.

"Use to. I quit right after your ......." Jason cleared his throat, getting rid of the awkward silence. He ignored the small ache in his heart. He was a best friend who didn't know his friend had quit smoking six years ago. He missed six years of memories. Six years of his god damn life.

"Why did you quit?" His friend rubbed his back, avoiding eye contact. Jason kept a neutral expression, not showing the betrayal he was feeling. They had no secrets. No, they used to have no secrets.

"Shit happened and ....yah....just don't smoke when I'm around. I don't want the smell on me. Astrid would kill me- shit," he covered his mouth. Jason grinned ear to ear. For now, he could ignore the 'shit happened'.

"Astrid? She's in Gotham?" Who knew so much could change in the span of six years. His friend was no longer the idiot teenager who would act before thinking but a responsible family man.

"Shouldn't you introduce us?" Jason's smile dropped at his friend's sigh. He was going to tease him a little and try to get rid of the tense atmosphere. "Just spit it out." He was well aware of how distant they truly were. While Ronowa became an responsible, hard working and law obeying citizen, Jason became a crime lord. For the past six years, Jason was dead to Ronowa. He had attended his funeral and visited his grave on his birthday and death anniversary.

"I'm........I'm happy you're alive. More than you can imagine and I don't want to end our friendship but we're not the same. You're........I have a family waiting for me at home Jay. I can't risk-"

"I'm not asking you to join my gang but if that's how you fucking feel then fine." Everyone always left him. He was a fool for thinking their friendship could stand the test of time. Ronowa slapped Jason back to reality.

"Let me finish before you start your monologue." Jason rubbed the right side of his face. Had he been working out? He could use that type of muscle in his gang - he slapped himself, getting rid of that thought.

"Go on," he didn't mean to make a sarcastic remark.

"We can't be like before. You can't meet my family - ever. To them you are dead and ......I want it to be that way........Please don't meet Astrid."

He would have to break one more promise. He had to tell Astrid the truth and for that he would have to meet her. Jason sighed in relief, watching her silhouette from the window. She was safe and sound at home.

"She's fine Jay. You would have known if you had answered your com," Nightwing patted his back. "Scarecrow's three blocks down. GPD got it wrong." Jason pushed his arm away.

"Did B capture him?"

"Not yet." Jason grinned, cracking his knuckles. 

🎼

A/N: Thank you for reading. 

Be safe and stay warm!

🎼