Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

16. Pit of Skepticism

"How could I not connect the dots that the V-gal was you! You're a single mom, and just joined the company!" Gina says in disbelief. "You even told us that Chloe met her father recently. Oh dang! I feel so dumb."

After visiting my biggest client who will soon be under Gina's account, we've decided to stop by Suits 'n Beans, the coffee shop across the street. This is my last week at Knight & Co. and I need to inform the rest of my team about my transfer. We can't talk about my situation with Ashton if we sit in the crowd at the office canteen. Too many 'extended' ears there. Too risky.

"Don't be. I was probably standing in your blank spot. Just like in most mystery movies, the person they're looking for is the one they suspect the least, and often, the person is in their inner circle," I reply. "But seriously, you're not mad, right? I mean I pretended that I didn't know who she was while you guys were busy investigating the vagina girl."

"No, god no. I'm not mad at all. Just baffled about how dumb I was. And cringe so hard because of all the speculation we made about you. Well, we didn't know it was you." Gina laughs and winces at the same time. "And damn, how are you going to live the days after the magazine is out? It's later this week, right?"

"Yeah." I shudder at the thought. "And I don't know, Gina. Maybe I'll just hide behind my desk with earphones on, eat at my table, avoid social encounters in the pantry, and go home after everyone leaves the building."

"You can always go with us for lunch if your new team gives you a hard time."

"Thanks, girl, I appreciate it a lot. For now, I'm just going to enjoy the rest of the hours of being Charlotte Garnett without being associated with the CEO." I bring my latte cup to my lips and carefully take a sip of it.

"Honestly, though, I would've done the same if I were you. Hell, maybe I would refuse the public announcement part."

Gina's phone on the table chimes and Shanti's name pops up. She opens the message and reads it briefly. "It's the list of drinks and meals everyone wants to have. Going to order it now or I will be stuck in a shitty long line. Be right back."

It's almost lunchtime. People will start flooding the coffee shop, and soon this place will be packed. It's a good thing that Gina and I came early to secure a decent spot on its terrace for our team. The best spot to announce Chloe's connection with our CEO to my team before the company magazine releases the official news on Friday.

Next week, I will be officially a member of the International Marketing team and to be honest, I don't know what to expect except that the task will be challenging, and so is my new boss. But it's a better choice than staying in my current team and having all eyes glaring at me as if I'm my boss's pet, especially if someone accidentally finds out about my shenanigans with Ashton.

I jump slightly when a bag is slammed on the table in front of me, pulling me out of my bubble of thoughts. I look up and find Shanti standing on the other side of the table, hands on her hips. "What kind of bullshit have I just heard from Max?" she starts, looking displeased. "You're leaving and never planned to tell us about it until your last week?"

"No, it's not like that!" I say, half squeaking. "It's a last-minute decision, and I will still be around sometimes until the handover process is done."

"What do you mean by the last-minute decision? Max looks sad, girl, but he said it's between you and Ashton Knight. Tell me now, did our dreadful CEO force you? Just say the word, and we will riot for you!"

I gulp, switching my gaze from her to Donna who is standing next to her, also looking bothered. "No, he didn't. It's my decision," I reply. "Can you guys at least sit down first? Please?"