06 - Through the Rain

It was October 30, 1994.

In the couple of weeks that had passed since Draco's encounter, Hermione and Ellie stayed close to each other, only ever meeting when Cedric or Harry and Ron were busy. The days passed like every other, a routine forming slowly. Meals with Cedric. Studying with Hermione. Then back to Cedric. It seemed impractical to even hang out with each other considering their busy schedule, yet the two were always eager to meet.

A notice had informed the students of the arrival of two other schools earlier that week. The time came of their arrival at approximately 6 o'clock in the afternoon, and the students rushed out of their dorms to watch.

Pulled by Cedric, Ellie found herself amongst other students, trying to peek over their heads. A flying carriage the size of a house soared over the Forbidden Forest, pulled by a dozen of magnificent Abraxans. Ellie looked to Cedric and saw his eyes twinkle with amazement, a wide smile on his face.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" Cedric announced, his eyes still fixated on the creatures.

"Stunning," Ellie grinned. "Wait, there's the other one! Look there!"

Ellie pointed towards the Black Lake, and a massive mast poked out from under the water. The entirety of the ship emerged from the surface, invoking a variety of amazed gasps comments. A massive flag dropped from the mast, presenting the symbol of Durmstrang.

Night fell quickly, and the students eventually retreated to dinner, their minds blown away by the schools' entrances.

"Well, now we're all settled in and sorted, I'd like to make an announcement," Dumbledore boomed as the students settled for dinner. "This castle will not only be your home this year... but home to some very special guests as well. You see, Hogwarts has been chosen..."

A man burst through the doors of the Great Hall, running as if he were stepping on hot rocks. He had an upturned expression that was flaunted by his receding hairline, its greasiness shining more prominently in the light.

"That's Filch," Cedric told Ellie, leaning in close to her ear.

With the way Filch ran, Ellie couldn't help but hold back a snicker, which was joined by Cedric.

Dumbledore stopped his speech as Filch came up to him silently. He excused the caretaker quickly, and Filch ran back to the doors.

"So, Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event: The Triwizard Tournament," Dumbledore announced, and a string of whispers traveled the room. "For those of you who do not know, the Triwizard Tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests. From each school, a single student is selected to compete."

"That sounds exciting," Cedric grinned as he nudged Ellie.

Ellie smiled up at him, shaking her head at his depictions of excitement.

"Now let me be clear. If chosen, you stand alone. And trust me when I say... these contests are not for the faint-hearted," Dumbledore warned. "But more of that later. For now, please join me in welcoming... the lovely ladies of the Beauxbatons Academy of Magic and their headmistress, Madame Maxime."

The massive doors opened, and in came a dozen women, dressed in light blue silk robes topped with a matching felted, pointy hat. They skipped down the hall gracefully, stopping as they flaunted their arms to emit a cascade of magical butterflies. They stood to the sides, and a roar of applause came from the tables, some even standing in support. Cedric and Ellie clapped excitedly, yet Hermione looked displeased with the ruckus.

"If majestic was a word, they'd be the embodiment of it," Ellie commented.

"That's what I was thinking!" Cedric gasped, laughing at their shared thought.