Chapter 5

The next morning, around four am, Brielle wakes up, not even noticed by the ghosts in the room who are playing a silent game of rummy, which was their go-to game on the road or before performing. She has to go clean her whole house, much like Cinderella without the happily ever after, all so she isn't beaten harshly. Usually, there's a bruise or two that comes out of each interaction with her parents, which accounts for the forty or so bruises covering her body in various colors and ten cuts across her arms, back, and legs.

"Brielle? It's four in the morning. Go back to sleep." Luke poofs in front of Brielle, trying to get her to stop.

"I need to get home. I'll come back later, though." She states, walking through Luke, even though she didn't really want to.

"I'm coming with you." He protests, before Alex and Reggie tell him to back off.

"She'll let us in when she's comfortable. Just let her go, Luke." Alex stops him, letting the girl go home. Only a few hours later, after Brielle has finished cleaning up the glass, blood, vomit, and everything else strewn across the floor, she sneaks out of the house without waking up anyone in her family, taking the trash to the garbage cans, and grabbing a change of clothes she left in the garage for herself.

"Why don't you love me? I've been the perfect child for sixteen years and you love Oliver more." Oliver was spoiled, and the only reason he and their parents got into fights was about college, but they have never so much as given him an accidental bruise, let alone one on purpose.

"Why can't I break out of the mold?

All my life I've been left out in the cold

Just waiting for the day I can go home

Out of the darkness and into the light

I have been waiting all of my life

For this love

For this adventure I've been told

Is a little bit crazy

A little bit angry

A little bit I don't wanna see you anymore

A little bit silence

A little bit war

And a big part is knowing that I love you even more

I have seen the pictures on the wall

All of the smiles taken long ago

All the joy we used to hold

But my scars and bruises

they confuse this love

This adventure I've been told

Is a little bit crazy

A little bit angry

A little bit I don't wanna see you anymore

A little bit silence

A little bit war

And a big part is knowing that I love you even more

I just wish you could love me

The way that you used to when I was lonely

I just wish you could hold me

Whenever I am bruised and show me