CHAPTER ELEVEN

Two hearts, two hearts that beat as one, our lives have just begun
-Diana Ross and Lionel Richie (Endless Love)

Demola kept his word and stayed by my side every step of the way as I attended counselling and we reconciled. Our relationship got much better, stronger and sweeter than before. We took everyday as it came, with renewed hope and determination.

Both of our families were so happy to see us resolve our dispute, and neither bothered us with questions about the details. Everyone was glad the storm was over.

After Demola explained all the details of what really happened to AB Konpo, I appealed to him for his forgiveness. I do not support violence of any kind but who can say they would not have done likewise in that situation?
He presented all the evidence to support his explanation and said he later investigated the source of the e-mail I received.

It turned out to be a bitter ex business associate who was trying to break us up out of spite. After he was found guilty of embezzlement of funds, Demola cut him loose from a major real estate deal. He was furious and had a long term plan of destabilizing Demola. My man said he kept a case file in his drawer. Obviously, he must have broken into it.

The former associate had since been arrested and sued, facing a potential prison sentence.

I specialized as a gynaecologist, and transferred from the Ikeja branch of Valley View, to the Victoria Island branch. It was a win-win arrangement. I continued working as a medical doctor and Demola and I spent more time with each other.

I didn't really keep close friends, after I lost Susan, but I did my best to get along with people where ever I went. As I recovered, I became even closer with my colleagues at Valley View.

Isoken Bright, a catering and event manager, and I became good friends, and she even planned the first birthday party of my nephew, Henry, Niyi's first child.

Damola and I worked together to raise awareness about abuse, and worked in partnership with human rights organizations to help the underprivileged to get justice.

It is often said that sometimes things fall apart in order to fall into place. Such was the case of Demola and I. Opening up and overcoming hurt and the pain was a challenging but wonderful experience.

I became a better person and so did he. I could not think of a more perfect life partner for me.
We didn't fix everything for each other. We loved and supported each other as we took our journey side by side and found our way.

******

Demola and I organized a private end of year party and invited our families and closest associates. It was held at the Flamingo House, Moon Crescent. The venue was special to us, because we had our first date there.

It was a thanksgiving to God, a celebration of how far we had come and appreciation of the loved ones who stood by us. The festive season was in the air and the hall was beautifully decorated like a winter wonderland.

Everyone was dancing, singing and having a lot of fun. There was lots of Jollof rice and pounded yam with egusi and vegetable soup. Small buns and spring rolls, were also served and everyone was having a great time. The DJ was 'on point' too.

My dad danced with me and looked at me with a very sober look on his face. His eyes shone with happy tears as he said, "Damilola, I am so proud of you and you have my love and blessings always."

I hugged him, "Daddy, is everything alright?"

He patted my back and replied, "Everything will be glorious, now and always."

Shortly afterwards, Demola greeted my dad and asked him if he could dance with me. My dad pat him on the back as Demola took my hand.

Demola led me to the centre of the dance floor and we danced together. I laughed as he pulled me close and spun me round and around. Immediately after he stopped spinning me. All the lights dimmed.

"Obim, let me call the technical unit," I said.

Demola did not respond. I felt around but could not feel him.

I started shouting. "Obim! Obim!"

A bright white spotlight shone on me, and I saw Demola in front of me on one knee. I put both hands on my mouth as I shed tears of joy.

"Damilola Amarachi, before I met you, I thought that love at first sight was impossible, but you changed that. Some people around us giggled. You are beautiful on the inside and the outside. You support and motivate me to be a better man and I appreciate you so much. You are everything I want and everything I will ever need in a life partner. Please be my wife."

I jumped up and down for joy as I said, "Yes! Yes! Yes!" Everyone clapped and cheered when Demola stood up and hugged me. He spun me round and round as I continued to shed tears of joy.

That is how I said yes to us continuing our journey together as husband and wife. Not because of because of those annoying Uncle Femi's, brother Uche's, sister Risikat's and Aunty Ada's, reminding me EVERY SINGLE TIME about how I should be married with kids by now.

It was because I was finally ready to love without holding back, unconditionally, and to be loved back. I also could not bear to imagine my life without Demola in it.

I wrote all the details of my life from the time I met Demola to the proposal. I put everything I could remember in a journal, and called it 'Damilola's Diary'. I did not bother putting dates in it, because the message was what I wanted people to learn from.

I want whoever reads it to know that they are special and they deserve the best. Their happiness is not a product of what they have, but rather a function of the joy that springs from within them. Most importantly, their past should not define their present or future. I passed through a lot before I realized that I needed to rise up, and get the help I needed, and enjoy my life to the fullest.

I could not wait to spend the rest of my life with Demola. Two hearts that beat as one. Our lives had just begun. Together, now and forever. Amen.

 Amen