Chapter 6

The second I return to my desk, Nico is making a beeline for the door and I have to stop him.

"What? I'm starving," he says.

"I need to lay out some rules. Don't eat too much food, clean up after yourself, and, um, don't be an asshole. Got it?" I'll type up an official rule list later. In fact, I'll probably also have to leave up sticky notes as reminders, too.

"Yes, ma'am," Nico says with undertones of sarcasm, making it perfectly clear that he has zero intentions of following any of my rules.

"Do you have your wallet?" I ask even though I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

"Nope!" he says cheerfully. "But I've got..." He reaches into his pockets. "Two pennies and a nickel."

I blink once before letting out a sigh. "What are you gonna sleep in? Because you're not wearing my clothes."

He rolls his eyes dramatically. "Oh, damnit." he deadpans. "Do you really not have anything?"

Now, it's moments like these where I wonder if I'm going to heaven because I'm sure my dad has more than enough clothes for him but... I want him to suffer a bit.

"I mean, I think you can fit into my nightgown. Just suck it in," I say and pat his stomach, ignoring the undeniable hardness of his abs.

"No thanks," he says and stretches out his long arms with a loud yawn. "I guess I'll just have to sleep naked."

The smile on my face drops as he gives me a knowing smile. "Whatever," I mumble and point to my closet. "Go in there. I need to change." With a squint, I add, "No peeking" as I pull my PJs out of my drawers.

He scoffs at this. "Like there's anything to see," he says loudly enough for me to hear. I lean over to my bed to pick up a pillow and chuck it at him but I'm too late. He takes cover in my closet and my pillow hits the door.

Next time, I'm throwing my lamp.

Finally alone, I take time to process everything that just happened as I slip on my red-and-white checkered flannel pants and a random science fair shirt from 8th grade. By the time my pajamas are on, I'm already regretting my decisions.

It's okay. I can handle Nico Accardi.

"You can come out now," I say as I toss my old clothes into my hamper. The closet door whooshes open and Nico steps out dramatically as if he's been trapped in the depths of Tartarus for centuries. The irritation on his face turns into amusement as his eyes glaze over me.

"You look GOOD," he says with a smirk.

My lamp is too far for me to reach so I settle for my fists. What was intended to be a strong attack to his arm ends up being a soft punch that just makes him laugh.

"Chill out, Cho," he says, using my last name like he does with his friends. "You pull it off. Kind of impressive actually." He's trying to butter me up, charm his way out of his problems.

My jaw clenches. "You're the last person I'd ever want to impress."

He stops laughing and the smile drops from his face as he blinks thoughtfully. Realization dawns on him and turns into confusion.

"You don't like me, do you?" he asks as if it's some huge revelation.

His thick brows furrow together and he actually looks serious for once. "Why? Is it because I dated Samaya and therefore caused a gap in your friendship?" As quick as it came, the seriousness is gone. He widens his eyes. "Or do YOU like Samaya? Like-"

"Are you trying to get yourself kicked out?" I ask. He holds up his arms in surrender and plops down onto my bed. "Get off my bed, Nico!" In response, he flashes a smile and stretches out his arms comfortably. "Nico!" I yank the covers off of my bed in an attempt to pull him off but he doesn't even budge.

With an exasperated sigh, I mutter, "I hate you."

"Hurtful," he deadpans, cuddling up to my pillow and taking my favorite plush in his arms.

"I'm grabbing a soda. Stay here," I say even though I'm well aware there's no place he would rather be.

"I'll take a sprite. Thanks, babe," Nico says sleepily. I send him my best scowl but he's already closing his eyes.

When I return with two cans of sprite, he's fast asleep despite the fact that I was gone for maybe three minutes. Part of me wants to push him off the bed but one look at him and I know that I can't. He's sleeping so peacefully that even I'm not enough of an asshole to shake him awake. Placing the soda cans to the side, I move to tuck in the blankets and stare down at him.

When his mouth is shut like this, he actually looks kind of nice. Thick, brown eyelashes rest tranquilly atop a chiseled face. His hair is messy, it always is, and it lays in soft layers over his forehead, leading to strong, shaped eyebrows. A single mole sits at the top of his cheekbone, just like I remember.

Reaching out, I finish tucking in the blankets and turn the light off as I grab my work and head to the kitchen.

I mean, he's Nico. This is probably some childish retaliation against his father that he'll hopefully get over soon. I'm sure that by tomorrow, everything will be back to normal.

A/N: this week's update! make sure to vote if u like and thank u so so much for reading! love u all sm and see u next week :)