Chapter 36

"Here we are."

Nico's ginormous house- if you can even call it that- stands in front of us. Last time we were here, it was to break in.

"Here we are," he repeats softly. He inhales deeply then turns to face me. "Thanks again for letting me stay with you."

"I'm glad you did," I say. "I don't regret anything."

He pauses, taking in my face. "Me neither." He looks down at I notice the way the edges of his lashes nearly touch his face, they're so long. "Nothing I say can express how much this time has meant to me, Jennie."

I smile slightly. "I feel the same way."

"Really, I... I told you I tried to forget everything from when I was young but now... I want to remember again. I want to work everything out again," he says.

"I'm proud of you," I say "Whatever decisions you make, I support you."

He smiles softly. "Thank you for being my home, Jennie.

This time, it's me who leans in to bring my lips to his.

"Are you sure you wanna do this? We can figure out something else," I say.

He shakes his head.

"Do you want me to wait outside?" I ask.

Nico shakes his head. "No, I have to do this on my own." He presses a kiss to my hand then gets out. "I'll see you soon."

"Okay," I say.

He gives me a bright smile, a boyish smile, before swinging his duffel bag over his shoulder and walking to the door.

---

Nico doesn't come to school for two days. I call and message him every day but there's no response.

On the third day, I get a call from him right after school.

"Where have you been?" I ask as soon as I pick up. "Is everything okay?"

"I'm fine," he answers. "I'm sorry that I haven't called. My dad took my phone... Can you come over?"

"Yes," I answer immediately. "I'll be there in five minutes."

---

When I arrive at Nico's house, he's sitting outside on the porch. When I drive in, he gets up and wraps his arms around me the second I'm out.

"So you're staying here?" I ask.

"Yeah."

"Is everything okay between you?" He pulls back.

"We basically came to the agreement that all he'll do is provide a roof over my head and the second I'm 18, I'm no longer part of the family."

"I'm so sorry, Nico," I say.

"It was gonna be like that anyway," he says. "I just... have to find a way to make some money and figure out what the hell I'm doing for the rest of my life."

"I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have sent you back-"

"Hey, stop," he interrupts. "None of this is your fault at all. I have more freedom this way anyway."

"Still, I wish things were different."

"But they're not."

"No, they're not," I say silently because what else can I say?

"Could be worse," he remarks. "I could be stranded on an island with sharks. Or kidnapped. Or..."

"Or diagnosed with an unidentifiable disease that makes you allergic to oxygen."

"Wouldn't that make me dead?" he asks.

"No, they would find a method of survival for you. You'd just be in deep, eternal discomfort."

He shakes his head at me, smiling slightly.

"I'm gonna help you get through this," I say. "Have you ever seen me fail at something?"

He looks at me thoughtfully. "I guess not."

"Exactly. You have me, Nico." In an awkward attempt to be cool, I put up my hand for a high-five.

He stares at it for a second then reaches out his hand and interlaces it with mine instead of hitting it. His eyes stay on me as our hands remain together in the air.

"I'm in love with you," he says quietly.

"Nico," I say because I don't know what else to say.

"I know it's fast. You don't have to say it back. I just wanted you to know. I'm in love with you."

"Nico," I repeat. Why can't I say anything else?

His lips lift in the tiniest excuse for a smile. "I'll see you later, Jennie," he says before walking back into his house.

A/N: votes and comments bring me life :) if ur here and have read this far, THANK U SO MUCH!