Chapter 35: New Assistant

Alena Fleur

I ignored a call from Abigail and sighed. She must have heard from my mom that I asked her and Dad to come to visit me whenever they managed some time.

I wasn't receiving Abigail's calls because I was still mad at her for hiding about my accident and being in partnership with my parents, so if I did receive her call and spilled any truth, she would most likely pass the words to my parents.

"You okay?" Elian asked, looking at me in concern.

I nodded with a smile and looked back out the car window. We were currently on our way to the office.

"You don't look okay." He brushed a lock of my hair to get a proper look at my face.

"I'm okay, El—"

"Your cheeks are puffed," he stated.

I shot him a glare, and he returned me a sheepish smile.

"What are you going to talk to your parents about?"

I had only told him that I invited my parents to come but didn't tell him the exact reason.

All my life I have lived with my parents trying to shackle me down with their backdated perspective. It was hard to live with that until high school, and it was harder to get out of that to attend university so far away. But with time and distance, it has gotten easier to speak my opinions to them. Yet, the hardest part was to get through them—to make them understand that maybe Elian wasn't the ideal man they imagined for me, but he was the only man I have ever loved and wanted to spend the rest of my life with.

Maybe some would say that I didn't have to care about their approval. But at the end of the day, no matter how cruel they could be at times, they were still my parents who brought me up with love—two of the people I loved and cherished most in this world. That's why I needed them to approve of him.

"Just something. It's been a long time since I have seen them."

Elian hummed, not looking satisfied with my answer.

I took a deep breath and turned to hit his arm, not so hard.

"Ouch, what was that for?" he winced dramatically.

"What did I say about my cheeks?"

"Never bring them up?"

"Exactly." I hit him again. "And you did the exact opposite."

"I don't get what your problem with your cheeks is. They make you look cute and innocent," he replied, earning himself another hit. "Oww, oww, boyfriend abuse."

"You deserve this."

He caught my wrist that was about to hit him again and pulled me closer to his chest. "No, I only deserve your love, Ms. Fleur."

"No, you deserve even more hits. We are in the car, Elian," I hissed, glancing at the driver who was professionally keeping a straight face.

"So?"

"So you are shameless."

"Sure, if you say so."

I shook my head, a genuine smile starting to form on my face. I only meant to distract his mind so that he wouldn't worry about my internal turmoil, but somehow, it turned into me smiling genuinely. I always felt happy with him.

###

I just finished taking interviews for my assistant and had some free time, so I had the sudden thought of checking my fake account, which I had Jace recover for me when I managed to remember its ID.