Chapter 10: Morgan

Morgan

I ran my hands over my beautiful white dress and smiled at myself in the mirror. The dress had a few layers of soft tulle and a gentle ballgown skirt. I loved the floral embroidered lace appliques that looked romantic, but not overly so. I had never felt so beautiful. But there was a lump in my throat that just wouldn't go away.

I had made up my mind and decided to stick to my choice. I loved Evan. And I knew he would always be there for me.

"Are you sure?" Ella asked as she met my reflection in the mirror.

I gulped "Yes I am. This is the right thing to do"

She put a hand on my shoulder "Maybe it's right. But don't forget about your heart"

A shiver ran through me. But I chose this path and I would follow it. Evan was a good man.

"Thank you" I smiled.

I sat down on the couch for a second and closed my eyes. Oh so familiar images flickered through my mind. I didn't see a future with Evan then, I saw my future with Taron.

I quickly opened my eyes again and cleared my throat "I'm ready"

Ella looked at me worriedly. "Okay"

It was only a small ceremony, just our closest friends and family at the small church in Aber. I walked out of the room, maybe the easiest or the hardest thing I ever did.

I reached the aisle, even if it was short. My eyes landed on Evan and he smiled at me. But there was something in his features I couldn't quite put. Or maybe it was me.

Because when my eyes met Taron's my heart jumped. He looked incredible in a suit, but it wasn't about his looks. It was about how his eyes widened when he saw me and he lifted his eyebrows, lightly, slowly. He seemed more moved than Evan was and suddenly I had a hard time keeping it together.

I reached Evan and he pulled me into a hug. I felt like I had reached a safe place.

"You're so beautiful" he whispered.

I smiled back at him, but also saw Taron in the corner of my eye. He looked down to his forearm, holding his wrist with his other hand. He looked up and met my eyes, his brows in a tight line. My belly somersaulted when I saw that he had tears in his eyes.

"Dear friends and family" the priest started "we are gathered here today to witness and celebrate the union of Morgan and Evan in marriage. With love and commitment, they have decided to live their lives together as husband and wife."

I gulped and looked around and met Ella's eyes. She held my bouquet of flowers and seemed worried. I shook my head ever so lightly and decided to focus on Evan and the ceremony. I loved him, and his family. No pun intended.

"True marriage is more than simply joining two persons together through the bonds of matrimony." the priest went on "It's also the union of two hearts and the blending of two families. It lives on the love you give each other and never grows old, but also thrives on the job of each new day"

I frowned. Was I really excited for each new day? Evan and I often didn't even see each other because of work. I wasn't excited about the future. I felt safe, but that was it. I loved him, but there was no spark.

"May you always be able to talk things over, to confide in each other, to laugh with each other, to enjoy life together. May it be running through the rain feeling alive for Morgan or –"

My heart leaped and I paid no attention to the words of the priest anymore. My eyes shot to Taron's and I saw that his face was crumbling. His chest heaved as if he wanted to hold back the tears. Those had been our moments and I didn't even remember telling the priest about that. It felt wrong for anyone else to know.