13 - Valeria Reveals the Truth

Valeria

What do I do?

What do I do?

I pace in my room as I recall the conversation from yesterday. My father indirectly told me that my mother stole money. He might not know it, but I lived it.

Could she be the one who sent those men to this house to steal because she knew I am working for rich people? Because if she knew that I am working for the mafia, I don't think she would have done it.

But do you know what the worst part is? Is that I am not surprised my mother is capable of doing this, and now, I am dying of embarrassment and I don't know how am I going to tell Lorenzo and his father. This is shameful and I fear that they would kick me out of the house, or worse, fire me from my job.

I take deep breaths and try to come up with a way of telling them. I need them to believe me and trust that I had nothing to do with it. But would they even believe me? Especially when Lorenzo had thought I was behind it before?

I look at the time and see it is seven-thirty in the morning. I need to go make breakfast and then I might break the news to them.

I go downstairs and plod to the kitchen. I huff heavily before starting my morning routine. It's not that I don't enjoy it, it's just that there's a lot going on in my mind that I have no energy to do anything. I feel very anxious and scared to tell the only people who see me as a human. I know I am not 100% sure that my mother was behind it and I might look like I am throwing my mother under the bus, but honestly, she fucking deserves it.

When I finish cooking breakfast, I take everything to the dining room and call everyone in.

The heavy aroma of the food planted a satisfied look on everyone.

When they finished eating, I took everything to the kitchen and washed the dishes. When I finished, I proceeded to Mr. Gonzalez's office.

I walk with heavy steps upstairs, too scared to arrive at his office. I don't even know how to start the conversation on the matter. I have never been a confronting person. I hate confrontation and I'd rather stay silent. I am a very insecure person and my confidence is below zero. I would thank my mother for that. She's the reason behind how I act, and she is the reason behind how I am feeling right now.

How could she meddle in my work? Is money that important to her?

I take a few more deep breaths before raising my hand and knocking on the door.

"Come in."

I twist the doorknob and trudge inside. I find Mr. Gonzalez and Lorenzo sitting inside, probably discussing business or who might the person behind the attack is.

I close the door after me and stand in front of their confused faces. I fidget with my fingers as I struggle to start the conversation.

"Valeria, is something wrong?" Mr. Gonzalez asks, standing up from his seat and slowly making his way to me.

"I...I...I know w-who attacked...that night." I drop the bomb and wait for their reaction, but get none.

I look up only to see them more confused. But after a few seconds, Lorenzo speaks up.

"Who, Valeria?" His hard voice makes me regret even speaking up.

I swallow hard before explaining what I heard from my father. "I went to my parent's house yesterday. My mother wasn't there, so I spoke with my father about random things until he told me about my mother getting loads of money. My father didn't know how, but he told me she got a lot of money, like a million or two. There were three men that night and they took ten million. I am so sorry."