31 - Sarah

Sarah's POV

It was a few days after Cassie's birth. When I left the hospital that night, I went to my friend's apartment. Jessie is my college friend who studied with me. She came back to live here as well and we kept in touch. She invited me to her house to Netflix and chill, but what she failed to tell me was that her old brother, Xavier, was going to be there. To her defense, she wasn't sure if her brother was going to come, but still, she should have told me because I had the biggest crush on her brother. She didn't know, but still, she should have told me either way.

When I arrived at her house, I saw her car parked outside, but her brother's car wasn't there. At the time, I didn't know he was coming. When I knocked on her door, however, her brother opened the door. To say I was just in shock would be an understatement. I was bewildered. Can you imagine going to your friend's house and suddenly seeing your crush standing in front of you with a beautiful smile on his gorgeous face?

"Hey..." I nervously said with a smile.

"Sarah, hi, come in," Xavier replied, moving to the right to let me walk in.

Gosh, he remembers my name, I thought.

"Where's Jessie?" I asked, sitting on the couch.

"She is taking a shower, I'll tell her you're here."

I just nodded and took my phone out as soon as he left. I messaged Sophia and told her about what is happening.

Sophia: oh my god! That's fantastic. This is your chance, Sarah.

Me: Are you crazy? He dsnt even think of me that way.

Me: Besides, he is Jessie's brother...

Sophia: So? You would be her sister in law

Me: You are insane but Im considering

Sophia: Good now leave me have fun with my bf

Me: EW!

I looked up and saw Xavier coming back into the living room. He looked very handsome as he riffled his chestnut hair. He sat on the couch across from me and took out his phone. We didn't talk for a few minutes until I felt so awkward and spoke up.

"So, how's work?" I stupidly asked, not knowing if he worked or not. He looks up and smiles...my heart!

"Good, what about you? Fashion design, right?"

"It is good and yes."

"Cool. I have always imagined you as a lawyer person," he said.

"Really?" I grin.

"Yeah...you have this lawyer aura."

"Oh, never once crossed my mind," I replied, making him chuckle.

"Sarah!" Jessie squeals, running my way and embracing me in a hug, while droplets of water hit the floor from her wet hair.

"Hey, girl!" I hug her.

"You are finally here. I have missed you so much," she said, breaking the hug and taking a good look at me.

"Me too. How is life here?" I asked, sitting back in my seat. She sat beside me and glared at her brother.

"Are you staying here?" She asked Xavier.

"Yeah, why?" he replied.

"We are girls and we want to talk, privately."

"Well, pretend I am not here," he said, making it so hard for me not to laugh.

"Xavier!"

"Jessie!"

"Stop it!"

"Are you going to leave your brother alone, without company?" he pouted, making it hard for Jessie to say no.

"I hate you!"

"I love you, sis."

She huffed and turned back to me. She started telling me about the first day she came in here and how much she and Xavier missed their family. She also told me she met a cute guy, but Xavier was quick to shut her up, saying that he would kill anyone that would glance at his sister, earning a glare from Jessie.

She isn't wrong. No brother or any man should control their sister, mother, wife, friend, fiancé, or anyone.

"What about you? Have you met someone?" Jessie asked.

I glanced at Xavier only to see him tuning into the conversation.

"No, not at the moment."

"Well, I could hook you up with some of my friends if you want!"

This made Xavier look very interested in the conversation and almost want to scream, NO!

"Nah, not really interested."

"Is there someone you want but can have?" she smirked at me, knowing me very well.

"Yeah."

"Who!" she screamed.

Your brother.

"You don't know him," I said, glancing at Xavier as I said that, only to see him looking at me as well. When he saw me looking at him, it was as if realization hit him.

I have liked Xavier for years. He was two years older than Jessie and I, so when I was in my freshman year, he was in his junior, but my like started even before college. I was in my senior year of high school when I first met them. Xavier was the bad boy of the school, while Jessie was the girl every guy wanted but couldn't have. She was the captain of the cheerleading team, so when I joined, we became friends. One time, I wanted her to drive me back to my apartment because my car was being fixed, and her brother was the driver.

When I first saw him, it was like love at first sight. Too bad he didn't show an ounce of affection back then. But everything changed when Jessie and I went to the same college as him. He was furious that his sister was going to be with him because now he had to look out for her, but was also happy to have his baby sister close to him.

So, one time a guy flirted with me in my freshman year and he asked me on a date the next day. When I drove to the restaurant, I waited for two hours and he didn't show up. The next day I discovered that Xavier had scared him off, but I didn't confront him about it, and to this day, he doesn't know I know.

And it was that day that I know there was at least a 1% chance Xavier could like me. It was just that he was my best friend's brother and I did not know if it was okay with her. I didn't have the guts to ask her.

It was only a week later that Sophia encouraged me to tell Jessie about my feelings toward her brother. I was scared she would get mad, but I had to try.

"Jessie..."

"Yes, Sisi?" she replied while scrolling through her phone.

"I need to tell you something."

She put her phone away and looked at me. "Tell me."

"I...I l-like your...brother."

"I knew it!"