L

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓𝟎 | The Sparrow and the Wolf

{ Lyra }

✧✦✧

"𝕸ikael is asleep," Lyra murmured, closing the door to their bed chambers quietly, as she padded back over to her husband's side. He hummed, tilting his head back and allowing Lyra to kiss his softly. "Now will you tell me what is making you stressed?"

"Why do you think I am stressed?" Joffrey barely pulled away from her lips, pulling her closer so that he could attempt to kiss her again.

"You have a habit of spinning your ring around your finger when you're stressed." Joffrey paused in his motion, looking down at his left hand to see, sure enough, that he was spinning his ring around his finger. Lyra perched on the arm of his chair. "What's happened, Joff?"

"Margaery, Loras and Cersei have been arrested by the Faith." Joffrey shook his head, finally revealing everything to his wife, who tensed up. "I tried to stop them, told the High Sparrow that I wouldn't allow it, but he arrested them anyway and I-"

He trailed off, setting his head into his hands. It was at times like these when Joffrey longed for someone older, who was trustworthy and trained to help when these sorts of things arose. He didn't know what to do.

"He threatened you," Joffrey finally revealed the thought that was weighing on his mind. "He threatened you right in front of me."

"With what?"

"Supporting the Old Gods instead of the New. Said that if I didn't allow him to arrest Margaery and Loras, then he'd have to arrest anyone who didn't follow the New Gods,"

"Well that's presumptuous of him," Lyra muttered. "Who does he think he is threatening the queen in front of the king?"

"He's already arrested the princess, a member of the King's Guard and the King's Mother," Joffrey listed, turning to look at Lyra with worried eyes, his hands trembling lightly as she reached out to clutch onto them. "I think he's quite aware of the power he has and he's backing us into a corner. He could, at any time, come down here and reach you and attempt to imprison you. What happens if I'm not here and-"

"Joff," Lyra reached out, resting her hand on his cheek. Joffrey tensed, before remembering that it was Lyra with him, not Cersei. "If you're not here then I will have Tylar and Elia and a whole army of guards protecting me. If he does try to hurt me, then he will have you and both of my brothers in the North to deal with. If he is a smart enough man to make you worried, then he'll have worked out that he can't touch me without starting a war with three different people, I will be safe."