XLVI

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐈𝐗 | The New Faith

{ Joffrey }

✧✦✧

"𝕿he Iron Bank had called in one tenth of the Crown's debts," Joffrey sighed, leaning back in his chair and rubbing his forehead at Mace's words. Finances were not Joffrey's favourite part of being king, in fact they came close to the bottom of that particular list. But still, he had to sit through Small Council meetings and deal with the matter. "Given the expense of rebuilding the royal..."

"How much can the crown afford?" Joffrey asked, cutting the man off as he thought. He wished for this meeting to be over, wanting more than anything to be back by Lyra's side. Joffrey despised leaving her on her own, with only Elia to protect her, for he feared that his mother might try and kill her still.

"With winter coming, half what they ask. Less." 

"How do we pay them?" Joffrey asked, looking around at the assembled lords and his mother.

"Well, House Tyrell could front the gold, and the the Crown will pay us back in time, or I'll have words with my daughter." Joffrey shot the man a half-smile despite the anger he was feeling, knowing that Mace Tyrell was harmless. The rest of the council wasn't as amused.

"You've already given us too much," Cersei stood up and walked to look out of the window so that she wouldn't catch sight of Joffrey's enraged face as she told them of her plan. "No, we must arrange better terms with the Iron Bank."

"Absolutely," Mace agreed, looking between the two royals with curiosity.

"In person," There was a moment of pause as Mace took in her words, before looking up in surprise.

"Me?"

"We must send an envoy to the Iron Bank, someone of importance, to show these bankers our respect. As the King's Master of Coin, I can think of no one more qualified," Cersei continued, smiling at the older man, all the while avoiding her son's glare, as Joffrey's temper quickly flared.

"I will be honoured, Your Grace," Mace bowed his head in both Joffrey and Cersei's direction, picking his things up as he hurried to the door.

"Please, Lord Tyrell," Joffrey's voice was deadly calm, but he held his mother's glare with anger. "As you are doing this great favour for me, I wish for you to take one of my Kings Guard with you. Ser Meryn should be available."

If Cersei wanted to try and annoy him by sabotaging his plans, Joffrey would react in the same way. Ser Meryn was Cersei's personal guard, and she looked panicked at the thought of being without him.

"Thank you, Your Grace. I'll give your regards to the Titan of Braavos," Mace bowed, before walking out of the room with Ser Meryn. Joffrey quickly dismissed the rest of the Small Council, before turning on his mother.