Chapter 30

Hue of red Colour drained from the members of eagles after seeing no aftermath of their planned conspiracy. King Atticus was perfectly alright and the meeting was proceeding very well without anyone's death. Aelia had her jaws hitting the ground. 'what happened? Why is king Atticus still alive? I myself poisoned the glass and then poured the wine. Even the maid is same. Where did it go wrong? ' these were the questions which were spinning in Aelia's head. She couldn't come to a conclusion.

Stephano and Luca who were hiding behind one of the curtains had lowered their eyes seeing the cold look of their master sitting on the table with king Atticus.

Stephano knew that he would pay for this blunder because the impassive look on his master's face screamed trouble for him wheras, Luca cursed that old hag, Aelia, for not doing her work properly and putting all of them in danger. She always pulled him and Balbina down but she herself failed in her mission.

Unable to contain his anger, Stephano was ready to go and demand answers from Aelia but Luca stopped him from doing so. It was a major setback to the plans of eagles and all were burning and fuming from inside.

Contrary to the feelings of the eagles, Augustus and Ritha had content smile lurking on their lips.

Earlier in the morning

Augustus had an uneasy feeling in pit of his stomach so he himself wanted to check on the preparations. He accidentally happened to cross the wine section when he smelled something strong and weird. He halted his steps and turned around in that direction. He opened the cabinet and examined each wine bottle very carefully but he couldn't decipher from where that smell was coming.

He felt that he was worrying in futile but suddenly his eyes fell on a powdery substance on the table where wine glasses were kept. He went closer and saw that the one if the wine glasses had a yellowish powdery like substance in it which was giving a very pungent odour. He instantly knew that this was some kind of a poisonous substance but in order to confirm his doubts, he decided to wait.

He hid himself behind one of the curtains to see the further drama. After a minute or so, a maid entered the wine section and took out one of the most expensive wine from the cabinet. She looked around in order to see whether anyone was looking at her or not. She then poured the wine in all the glasses and marked a small black dot on the glass which had powder in it. This confirmed Augustus's suspicion and he was ready to kill the maid but logical part of his brain stopped him from doing so. He needed answers before doing anything.

She had a cunning smile on her lips and was about to turn around when Augustus held her hands and turned her around with a jerk. A shrill voice escaped from her mouth when she saw the angry look in Augustus's eyes.

He was tempted to slap her but stopped himself from doing so because raising a hand on a woman was against his rule. He didn't want to create a scene so he locked the maid in one of the rooms and started enquiring her. He asked in his deadly calm tone, "for whom was that drink for? "

The maid was too petrified to answer Augustus. Her whole body shook in terror when Augustus thundered in
his angry tone, "answer me, you dammit. " her lips quivered before she answered in a low voice, "kin.. King Atticus. "

Augustus's eyes were pouring rage after the maid's confession which confirmed the maid's doubt that it was her last day on the earth. She cursed that old lady who came up with such a tempting offer.

She snapped out of her thoughts when Augustus further interrogated her, "who gave you the orders? And before you think about lying, think twice because your death will become even more painful." he emphasized on each and every word of his which made the lady gulp in fear. Her eyes started shedding tears and her breathing became short.

She folded her hands infront of Augustus and asked for forgiveness which obviously went unheard. She then told him about the old lady who was covered in black cloak. She wasn't able to see her face and she told Augustus about the tempting offer she made.

Augustus pondered for a minute and ordered the maid to get up. He spoke in his stiff tone," I'll think about forgiving you if you work according to my orders. " the young maid immediately nodded her head.

Augustus told her to replace the poisoned wine with fresh one and asked her to wait for the old lady to come to him. Augustus knew that whoever came up with the offer will definitely approach the maid after their failed attempt to kill his father. He couldn't wait for the moment when he would kill those bastards.

He told Rithambara about the incident when he came back in his room. Rithambara was shocked hearing this and she knew that she herself has to do on order to make the security intact in the palace so she decided to keep a close eyed on maids and helpers.

She was proud of her husband because instead of killing the maid in a momentarily rage, he decided to play smart. She had a smile of appreciation in her lips which didn't go unnoticed by Augustus and he reciprocated it with his own sizzling smile and poked his tongue just like Ritha did when he was teaching her about the kiss.

Ritha blushed profusely and burst into laughter afterwards sensing that he was teasing her.

Present moment

King Atticus dismissed the meeting after few light discussions. Everyone took their leave and Augustus was fast enough to go behind Ritha who was watching the maid. They hid themselves behind a wall and were waiting for the main culprit to reach out to the maid.

Just like Augustus anticipated, old Aelia was eager to get hold of the maid who ruined her plan. She spotted the maid from afar and went in her direction.

Author's Note
Finally guys! Aelia is gonna get caught! Who's excited to meet the main master to whom Stephano was referring? Please vote and comment and happy new year in advance. ❤❤