Chapter Seven: When the Gazelle Dodges the First Bite

Kashera

Kashera

When Matteo's men came into the dinner I felt in the pit of my stomach that things were about to take a turn for the worse. After-all, what would life be if it didn't sweep one's fairytale from underneath them in the blink of an eye? I watched as Matteo's warm disposition shifted into that of ice. It was like the first time that I met him in the office that life altering day. His overwhelming frame confident, intimidating, and unyielding. His energy was cold and abrasive and his face was unreadable, yet still so chilling to look at that I almost didn't want to even try. As soon as the man left and Matteo asked me to trust him what could I do but say yes? I had no choice, and if I was so willing to trust him with my heart I should have been willing to trust him with my life, right?

As we were driving in the car I was praying and hanging on for dear life. We were on the street still but I watched the cars around us in frantic blur. The black Benz and SUV belonged with Matteo as one trailed close behind us and the other paced off the of my side of the car in the next lane. I spotted two white cars that had gained up on us. As we moved they moved right along side us. I quickly understood that we were being followed- no- we were being chased down, and the Lord only knew why. Matteo reached the expressway and had begun to speed, and instinctively I tightened my grip on the door.

I was scared shitless, but I was trying so hard not to show it. I had a million questions running through my mind and I wanted to scream while I beat Matteo's ass. However, I needed him to get me home and out of this mess in one piece before I could do either of those things. There was no point in me being an unnecessary distraction while he was trying to save both of our lives. I was quiet and so was he, but I could feel him wanting to say something to me. Stupidly, I turned and looked out of the window to the sight of the two cars quickly trying to switch over lanes so they could get to my side of the car. Before he could speak I warned him in a far-away voice not really wanting to converse with him as I tried to keep it together.

"Those white cars aren't your security but they're trailing us. They're speeding up," I noted calmly, "Get in the center lane because your security is beside me off the corner but they're trying to get in the lane fully." He did as I said but he tensed up even more so probably not knowing how to gage my calm demeanor. 

That was very smart of him.

 I was talking as calmly as I could, but that was only because I knew that if I let my control slip I was going to snap.

"Kashera, I'm so sorry-" He started to say but I swiftly cut him off. His cold apology was not what I needed right now.

"Don't. Please just get me home safely," I said not even turning his way. I was upset, I was scarred, and I was confused. I wanted to know why we were being chase. I needed to understand why it seemed as if they were coming for me deliberately. Where they after me, too or was I just unlucky enough to be with Matteo at the wrong place and time? I could sense Matteo wanting to say something but then something in his mirror caught his attention which made me look back as well.