Chapter 12 pt.3

Matt's POV

With two hours of the raffle event left to go, I found myself at a table playing cards with a group of senior men.

Finally, I had found my people.

The minority of guests were still buying chances, which was even better news since Carla decided to handle it for me.

“Matthew, boy... Tell us about yourself,” one of the men introduced as 'Gregory', suddenly said.

I laughed politely, “There isn't much to tell.”

I dropped my final card as the pack finished and someone yelled for more drinks.

“Another round!”

The man with the shades ordered, and it took a while for me to realise he was talking to me. I stretched over, rushing to shuffle the thick cards.

Looking around, I made these people out to be addicts, to one thing or another - women, wine or tobacco. I saw an endless desire for comfort that money couldn't provide.

The wine bottle arrived and the holder subtly avoided my contact with it. He wasn't one of the waiters, actually instead he was a guest. I assumed he was just doing his friends a favour. The man stood closer to me than I would have liked, his tuxedo smelling of old wood. Finishing with the cards, I shifted my chair to look up at him. Our eyes met and he gasped.

“You?” he squinted at my face and I held my breath, “I know you... you transferred to Ostville Secondary in your senior year?”

I slowly nodded, not sure where this would lead.

“And your father...what a complete waste of time!” he wheezed, laughing, “He ran my network to the dirt. Cost me billions!”

I glanced between him and the table, “I... don't know what to tell you.”

“Who would create such a legacy for it to turn to ruin?” the man balled his fists, “The man was a snake to almost half of us here! Who invited you?

“I'm helping at the orphanage -”

“If only I could remember the name...”

My jaw slightly dropped. I hadn't witnessed my father's peak in his businesses. Most of it happened before me, or my sister were born. I had spent almost no time with the man. Why was this being taken out on me? I searched the room for a way to get out of the tension.

“Boy, didn't you say your surname as Adler?” Gregory questioned innocently and I cringed.

“Ah! Well I hope Mr. Adler's son doesn't go down the same road. Not knowing how to keep a family on their feet.”

My eyes widened. The businessman spoke so loudly, nearly all the tables around us joined in to watch the show.

“Adler, you say?” my associate with the shades finally lowered them and I met his stale, black eyes, “I suppose you've met my daughter, then Matthew?”

I was at a loss for words, silently hoping this daughter wasn't anyone I'd messed around with. One way or another.

“Sir, you could be more specific,” I said carefully, “I don't know who any of you are.”

Helen. Helen Baker,” he raised his voice, “She was brought into the orphanage as a specialist just recently.”

“Oh my God.”

What was this?

Mr. Baker chuckled sincerely, “Mr. Adler really was great at what he did. Which was lie, cheat and steal.”