T W E L V E | D I S C I P L I N E S

Disciplines:  Different types of figure skating including ice dancing, pairs skating, and individuals. 

Rosaura stumbled for what seemed like the umpteenth time. Her focus was not on the ice and she didn't need her coaches barking at her to let her know.

"That's it," Marceau said cutting off the music in frustration. "You are going to take a ten-minute break and when you return, I want your focus only on the ice."

Rosaura nodded ashamed of her performance. Marceau was usually the calm one on their team and if he was frustrated, Rosaura had been preforming even worse than she originally thought. She took a big chug from her water bottle and tried clearing her thoughts. It worked for a second, but that she would remember Xavier and his stupid smile. She would also remember that he left her hanging after he had asked her out.

Val stopped beside her. He didn't say anything, but she could feel him scrutinizing her.

"What's going on?" he asked softly. "After my sore ankle, I thought I would be the one who would let the team down."

"Thank you for telling me I'm doing terrible." Rosaura snapped at him. "It's not like I haven't noticed it myself."

Val looked taken back by her response. Rosaura could see the hurt in his eyes and so she rushed to apologize. "I'm sorry, I know you only mean well."

Val sat down on the ice and patted the spot next to him indicating that she should join him. Rosaura complied before sighing. "I'm just angry."

"At who?"

"Xavier," was Rosaura's one-word response.

Her partner raised his eyebrows. "Why?"

Suddenly, it seemed Rosaura couldn't hold it in anymore and the truth burst out from her. "He asked me on a date and then cancelled three hours before! What man does something like that?"

"He must have had a valid reason." Val said gently.

"He did!" Rosaura admitted. "The World Juniors coach called so he had to fly to Ottawa right away."

"Well there you go," Val said. "He wasn't trying to cancel on you. I'm sure he feels terrible. You of all people should understand. He has a crazy schedule."

"I do," Rosaura said quietly. "But it still hurt, I was looking forward to the date."

Val sighed. "I hate to be the bad guy, but have you thought this through? Both Xavier and you have insane schedules and with the Olympics this close, it might not be the best idea to get into a new relationship, especially if you are thrown off like this you've even been on a date."

Rosaura didn't say anything. She didn't have to. Val had a valid point. She had thought about it often, but she didn't want to tell him that. After all, did it even matter anymore? He had has chance and slipped up, she was sure that Xavier wouldn't ask her out again, he would be too busy. 

---------------

When Rosaura arrived at her doorstep, she was surprised to see a bouquet of beautiful pink roses. She wasn't to sure if they were for her, but a quick glance around the neighbouring apartment told her they were indeed for her.

Rosaura picked up the flowers in one hand while holding her skating bag in the other. To say it was easy would have been a lie but she successfully managed to get through her apartment. She placed her bag gently on the floor before looking to see if there was note with the flowers.

She spotted in seconds later. Rosaura opened the note:

I thought these would be the perfect flowers for you. I'm sorry for cancelling on our date but I'll make it up to you.

-Your very sad date

Rosaura couldn't help herself, she laughed at the note. She had not expected Xavier to send her flowers, but it was cute. It was clear that he was sorry about cancelling their date and she couldn't hold it against him. That would just be unfair.

Scrambling around her apartment, Rosaura looked for a jug or something to put the flowers in. She didn't exactly have a vase, but she was certain she could find something. Her phone buzzed in the back of her pocket and she picked it up without looking at the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"Hey sweetheart, how are you doing?" her mom's voice came through the phone.

Rosaura smiled. It had been a while since she talked to her mom. She always promised that she was going to call but then she had a habit of forgetting.

"Nothing much, busy with practice." Out of the corner of her eye, Rosaura spotted a jug that would be perfect for the flowers.

She ran towards it unaware that one of the cabinets had been left slightly open.

"Shit," she swore.

"Rosaura," her mom said in a panicked voice. "Is everything alright?"

"Yeah mom," she replied. "I just stubbed my toe on the cabinet while I was getting a jug for the flowers."

"That's so sweet of Val, he bought you flowers?"

Rosaura internally groaned. She had mentioned the flowers and now she would have to tell her mother the whole story. Rosaura hated lying but more than that, her mother could tell in an instance. Taking a deep, Rosaura started from the beginning...

---------------

Loud knocking abruptly woke up Rosaura from her sleep. Glancing at the alarm clock beside her, she saw it was just past one. She had fallen asleep quite early due to her exhaustion from the practice. Slipping on a pair of fluffy slippers, Rosaura made her way to the front of the apartment. She peeked through the hole, unsure if her eyes were playing tricks.

She slowly opened the door to see Xavier on the door of her threshold wearing navy blue sweater and a pair of worn down jeans. His hands were tucked inside the pocket and he looked quite nervous.

"Did I wake you up?" he asked before shaking his head. "Never mind, that was a stupid question. You clearly looked like you were in bed."

"Well I was but now I'm not. What are you doing here?"

Xavier shifted nervously on his feet. "I'm sorry about cancelling our date but I was hoping to make it up to you tonight."

Rosaura stared at him. He had woken her up, so they could go on a date?

"Did you just come from the airport?" she asked noticing the passport sticking out of his pocket.

He nodded.

Warmth spread throughout Rosaura's body. He had just come from the airport and the first place he had visited was her apartment. "Yes," she said softly.

"Yes what?"

"Yes, I'll go out on a date with you." She confirmed.

Xavier gave her a full-blown grin. "You have five minutes to get ready, it doesn't really matter what you're wearing."

Rosaura nodded before letting him inside. "I'll be right out."

As promised, she came back a couple of minutes later. She had only thrown over a pastel pink sweater with matching sweats.

Xavier's mouth turned into a soft smile, "You look cute and comfortable." He said before taking her hand.

She felt her face heat up but ignored everything as she locked her apartment. The night it seemed, was still young for the both of them.

---------------

Yay! They are finally going out on a date. Comment below to guess where Xavier is taking Rosaura ;)