Chapter 4

"I never liked him anyway." The strange boy said, throwing down the shovel to walk over to Newt and Ava.

"Who are you?" Newt asked, wondering why this strange boy was part of a hallucination.

"We kinda don't have time for chit chat, John, we need to get him to Homestead." Ava said to the boy. "If we keep doing so, he's gonna bleed out."

Ava brought Newt to the Med-jacks, hoping at least on of them was there. She brought him in, setting him down, digging through the draws to find the supplies.

"I'm fine, Ava, really. It's not bleeding that bad." Newt said, showing his arm to her. She shook her head, still determined to stitch it up. Ava stood up, glaring at Newt.

"Your going to sit the fuck down, and shut the hell up." She went back to searching for the gauze. Finally finding the stuff she needed, poured it onto his cut, making him hiss in pain. "Sorry."

"It's fine, just get it over with." Newt said. Ava nodded, continuing. By the time she was done, he was like himself again... other than the white wrap around his arm.

"Where's Gally?" Ava asked, looking at John. 

"Probably where we left him." He said, shrugging his shoulders.

"I told you to grab him." Ava said, frustrated.  Ava stormed out, running to Gally's body, which was still there, except Gally was awake, and puking. "Your not gonna stab me are you."

Gally looked at Ava, confused. "Stab you? Why would I do that?"

"Like I would know." Ava said, putting one of his arms over her shoulders. "They should be back soon, we need to get you cleaned up." 

Once Ava was done playing Doctor, she watched outside, waiting for her friends to come through those doors. Newt stayed sitting on the bed, watching Ava worry. He noticed every time she'd worry more, she'd tap on her lips three time.

Finally, everyone made it back. Ava followed them to the meeting hut. The shiny piece Laina found was now in Newts hand.

"We found this inside of a Griever." Laina said, handing it over to Newt.

"These are the same letters we get in our supplies." Newt said, looking up before looking back down.

"Whoever put us here obviously made the Grievers." Thomas said, watching Newt examine it. "This is the first real clue, the first anything, you've found in over 3 years. Right, Minho?"

"Right." Minho said, agreeing.

"Newt, we gotta go back out there." Thomas said, Newt looked up, meeting Ava's eyes before looking at Thomas. "Who knows where this might lead us." 

All of them looked over to Gally, waiting to see what he had to say.

"You see what their trying to do right? First they break the rules and then he tries to convince us to abandon them totally. The rules are the only thing that has ever held us together." Gally said, mostly looking at Newt. "Why now are we questioning that? If Alby was here you know he'd agree with me. This shank needs to be punished."

"Shove a cork in it. You think everyone has to be punished." Ava mumbled, making Laina choke back a laugh. Newt handed the object back to Laina, which she put on the side.

"Your right. Thomas broke the rules. One night in the Pit and no food." Newt said making the decision final.

"Oh come one, Newt! One night in the Pit?" Gally asked. "Do you think thats gonna stop him from running into the maze again?"

"No, and we can't have non-runners running into the maze whenever they feel like it. So lets make it official. Starting tomorrow, you and Ava are runners." He said, looking back at Ava who had a shocked face.