Part Thirty Nine

Chapter Thirty Nine

"So are you going to tell me what this is all about?" Oscar watched Lizzie squirm under his gaze, but there was nowhere she could run. Outside the car all the other school parents were talking and preparing for whatever their day involved, now that all the children had run excitedly into their class. She was sat in the passenger seat, shaking.

She was silent, though he wondered if he'd seen the hint of a shrug through her shoulders, all she seemed to do was bloody shrug. He gritted his teeth, and then turned in his seat, fighting the desire to roll his hands into fists.

"Silence. That's what I get?"

She looked at him and the sadness in her eyes almost made him back down, but not quite.

"Have the last few weeks been blanked out of your brain?"

She shook her head, eyes still dropped to her lap, where her thumbs twiddled.

"I don't believe this means nothing to you, what we have..." he ran a hand through his hair, "it's special. YOU know that, I know that. So why are you acting as though I'm a piece of shit on your shoe."

Her eyes flashed at him, "it was a few nights out and sex...that's all."

He wanted to yell, but there was a potential audience still near the car, so instead he hissed, "just sex...do you want me to remind you of how wet our kisses made you ...how quickly you came from me touching you...how you screamed my name? Not sighed, not moaned, SCREAMED. Didn't take reserved Lizzie Breen for a screamer, but I loved it...and SO did YOU!"

Shaking her head, she turned to him, "so it was fun!" She was shouting, but her eyes glared at him, "but that is ALL is was, do you hear me? It was fun, it was sex, but it was just that. FUN."

Reaching his hand out, he grabbed her chin, and too roughly pulled her to face him, then he shook his head, "all lies."

Then he planted his lips on hers, and it was a cruel punishment, but he loved it from the very first touch. For a moment she was stiff, rigid, resisting, but within a few breaths, he was gasping as she responded, parting her lips, letting her tongue dance with his.

But that lasted all of a few seconds, before she shoved him away, two hands firmly on his chest, "get off me."

"You enjoyed that, you wanted that...this isn't one sided."

She shook her head angrily, "I want you to leave me alone!"

He punched the steering wheel in frustration, "for fuck's sake, Lizzie, I know this isn't conventional, I wanted to play this so differently, but..."

Her laugh stopped him in his tracks, so angry, so hostile, "that's all this is, you playing a game. You haven't been honest with me, not ONCE. You are trying to suck me in..."

He had to stop this, so he placed a hand over her lips, "please, stop."

She shook her head battling his hands away, "get off me, you bully."

That made him laugh, loudly, "me? I haven't bullied you; I have only been trying to help you."

"Ha, help! Control you mean, I have no idea what your fucking agenda is, but it isn't anywhere near the same as mine."

He paused as he tried to decipher what that meant, "I don't have an agenda...I am flying by the seat of my pants and trying to make this work."

She shook her head, "you are making this work for YOU!"