Chapter 5: Bones Exposed

"You are in big trouble when we get home!" Vernon's mother said pointing a finger at her daughter.

Vermon didn't pay attention. She focused on the cops digging up dirt. Caution tape surrounded the diggers, and beaming lights rested on the ground. Vermon took the blanket that rested on her back off and stood up. Her mother grabbed her hand and pulled her back down. "Stay down," she told her.

"It's been 45 minutes guys. Should we call it in." Someone called out.

"Keep digging." The female officer called out.

Vernon's mother lowered her head in embarrassment. "I swear when we get home, I will-"

"Woah!" Someone yelled from behind the caution tape. All of a sudden everyone was quite. Vermon burst from her mother's hands and ran towards the caution tape. An officer stopped her immediately.

"Well great God Almighty," the woman officer said looking inside the hole. A skull laid faced down, planted in the dirt with shattered bones here and there. The officer stood in shock. The fact that there was indeed a skeleton underneath sent chills throughout her body. The office holding Vermon let her go just so he could see all the action.

"My goodness," he said shining his flashlight at the bones.

Vermon crawled under the tape and stared into the hole. "I told you," she whispered only loud enough for the female officer to here.

"Alright guys, shows over. This is a crime scene." The female officer said. Vernon's mother rushed to the scene. She gasped and held her mouth as she saw the bones graved into the ground.

Vermon smiled. "Now he can rest in peace." She felt a gust of wind dance through her hair but heard no voices. "You're welcome!" She called out.