The Strength and Stubbornness of a Stark

"Hound," Sansa began, "Come with me." Sandor tightened his grip on Aurora, pulling her closer to his chest. Sansa gave him a smile. "We're going to find a chamber to put her in and Lord Baelish brought a Maester with him." He could see the frightened look in Sansa's eyes and he wasn't sure if it was because of him or if she feared for Aurora's life like he did.

Sandor followed the eldest Stark daughter through the halls of Winterfell. "We can put her in here. I'll send for the Maester," Sansa's voice was soft as she watched Sandor behaving so gently with the young woman she'd come to see as a sister. He set her down on the bed before pulling a chair next to her. Sansa stopped her movements toward the door and returned to the bed herself.

She kneeled next the bed, across from Sandor. "What happened to you? After you left King's Landing? You're different," she asked, making Sandor finally take his eyes off Aurora. "So are ya, little bird." His gaze returned to Aurora. "I'll get the Maester. I would like to talk to you more after." Sandor simply nodded his head and Sansa left the room.

Sandor looked up toward the heavens and sighed. "Why? Is this my punishment? I finally have somethin' good going fer me and ya take it away?" Sandor lowered his head again and began sobbing silently. Truly sobbing for the first time in his life. Why? Why would the gods, if they existed, punish him by taking away the only person he loved? He didn't cry for long and, when he was done, the only sound in the room was Aurora's shallow breathing.

The Maester arrived shortly after. Sansa had to force Sandor to move away from Aurora so the Maester could do his job. "She has lost a lot of blood, but I am confident she will survive. It may take her a while to wake, but I have no doubt she will." The Maester exited the room, leaving Sansa behind with Sandor yet again. "I know what's changed, Hound. You fell in love with her." Sandor said nothing, but that told Sansa everything she needed to know. "She will wake. She's strong and stubborn. One would think she was a Stark by birth."

Sandor actually chuckled at that. "Aye. Perhaps she was in another life."Sansa smiled. She gave his shoulder a squeeze. "There is a meeting of the lords in the Hall. Will you join us or would you remain here?" Sandor told her he would stay and returned to Aurora's side. Sansa left the room, leaving Sandor to take Aurora's hand in his much larger one. "Ya have ta wake up,Aurora. The gods finally gave me somethin' good in my life and I can't lose that." He was met with silence, but he could see the rise and fall of her chest as she slept on. "I love ya, Aurora," Sandor whispered before sleep overtook him.