I Won't Get My Heart Broken...Not Again

When Aurora had cried herself out, she wiped her face with her hands and glanced at the red-headed woman sitting next to her. "Did you know that would happen?" she asked softly. The woman nodded. "I had suspected. I knew you had a destiny tied to that book." Aurora stood and brushed herself off. "Then why am I back here?" The woman closed the book and stood up. "Because that part of the story is finished, young one."

"Can I go back?" She nodded. "You could, but everything would be as it was." Aurora felt her lip begin to tremble. "What about Sandor? And Arya? What happened to them?" The shop owner frowned. "I do not know." Aurora took a deep breath and picked up her bag from the floor. "I should go. My friend is probably worried sick about. She probably called the police."

"I doubt that very much. Why should she?" Aurora's brows furrowed. "I've been gone for months!" The woman shook her head. "Perhaps in the book, but here? You have been gone for only a few hours." The room began to spin and Aurora swayed. The woman gently took her arm and lead her to a seat. "It is alright. I know it is a lot to believe, but you were there! You lived the history of another world!" Aurora chuckled through the tears beginning to form. "I did, didn't I?" The woman smiled and Aurora asked, "How do you know so much about it?" Another laugh echoed through the shop. "Because that is my world, my dear. I am the Lady Melisandre, a priestess of the Lord of Light."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was the beginning of a new life for Aurora. After her adventure in Westeros, she couldn't bring herself to continue in her studies at the university. Instead, she began working in Melisandre's shop. She had access to all sorts of study material in the shop and it paid well. When she wasn't working, Aurora took fencing and horseback riding lessons, just to keep her days with Sandor alive in her mind. Before she knew it, a year had passed.

Aurora had just started her shift when Melisandre walked in, a bright smile on her face. "Aurora, I have wonderful news!" Aurora arched a brow but made her way over to the counter all the same. From inside a box, Melisandre pulled out a book. Aurora's eyes widened. If she hadn't been paying attention, she would have said it was the same book. It looked exactly like the first book, leather bound with a red jewel in the center. The only difference was, on this book, the Roman Numeral for the number two was emblazoned in gold on the cover and spine.

"Is that what I think it is?" Aurora asked and Melisandre nodded with a laugh. "It is. The next volume." Aurora frowned and backed away when Melisandre tried to hand her the book. The woman's brows drew together in confusion. "I can't. What is there for me now? Sandor is more than likely dead. Arya and Sansa too. And even if they weren't, I would just end up back here when the book finished, wouldn't I?"

"Not necessarily, Aurora. You are part of Westeros' history now. There is nothing to say you could not remain there for the rest of your days," came the answer, but Aurora still refused to take the book. "I won't put myself through that! I won't get my heart broken again!" With that, Aurora turned on her heel and went back to work.

Melisandre watched the poor young woman throw herself into her work with a frenzy she hadn't seen before. One thing was certain in the old priestess' mind. Aurora belonged in Westeros. Melisandre herself had already been through the book when it was delivered the night before and she knew exactly what had happened. After working with Aurora for a year, Melisandre also knew that the now twenty-four year old woman was one of the most stubborn women ever to live. As she watched Aurora work diligently, Melisandre's mind began forming a plan.

That night, Aurora went home and cried into her pillow. It was the first time she'd allowed herself to cry since the night she returned home from Westeros. Her dreams were plagued with visions of Sandor rolling off the cliff and Aurora screaming over and over again. They wouldn't stop and eventually, Aurora gave up trying to sleep. She got up and paced around her apartment. Why had Melisandre gotten the second book? There was a part of Aurora that was curious but the other, much louder part, kept telling her that if she went back, her heart would break as it had when she was ripped from that world.

When Aurora arrived to work the next morning, Melisandre was nowhere to be found. Only a note written in a neat cursive hand dictating to Aurora what all needed to be done. Aurora shrugged and got to work. It wasn't unlike Melisandre to forget something and have to run to her apartment above the shop. Aurora went about her daily tasks and when those were done, she got to work on Melisandre's list.

Aurora moved a ladder to begin dusting the tops of the highest set of shelves in the shop. Once atop the ladder, Aurora started humming to herself and dusting. She wasn't paying attention to the shelf below and when she brought her arm down, she hit something. Aurora lowered her eyes and saw a book beginning to topple from the shelf.

Her eyes widened when she realized exactly which book it was. She dropped her cloth and reached down to catch the book that began to fall. Aurora was able to catch the book,but not before it opened and a blinding light filled the shop once more.