Chapter Ten

"I insist," Sisi said, blocking Remi's path as he attempted to get into her room

"I insist," Sisi said, blocking Remi's path as he attempted to get into her room. She didn't want another confrontation with Mrs Joke—the last one had left her feeling ashamed—neither did she want to ruin Remi's relationship with Jummy, even though the notion of Remi choosing her over Jummy was ridiculous. She had nothing to offer any man, and Remi deserved the best.

Remi frowned. "I am not letting you sleep here alone. It's been three days, and you already look sick. I'll bet you have gotten no sleep for three days. Prove me wrong, Sisi," he dared her, and she looked away.

Her nightmares hadn't ceased. She struggled every night; her mind tormenting her with memories and terrors that awaited her in the future. She knew no matter how far she ran, Chief would catch up with her.

She raised her eyes to look at Remi. He looked concerned and upset; his brows furrowed. She offered him a weak smile.

"Sisi," he took her hand in his, "come with me." Pulling her along, he led her to the living room. She settled on the couch, and he settled beside her; his knee brushing hers.

Forcing her mind off of the warmth that crawled through her skin at his closeness, she swallowed and averted her gaze.

"Sisi?" He touched her chin up, evoking a soft gasp from her lips. She turned to him. His lips was so close to hers, a mere move would have breached the distance between them.

"Yes?" she breathed.

"Does this have anything to do with my housekeeper?" he murmured, holding her gaze. Numb, she nodded. "You have nothing to worry about."

"No?" Her heart leapt at his announcement.

"No. Her opinion doesn't matter. Nothing matters," he whispered, tearing his gaze off of hers long enough to stare at her lips.

He might kiss her. Silently, she waited, wanting it; longing for his affection. She had been deprived of affection for so long; she was willing to take it wherever she found it.

And Remi cared about her, didn't he? It was why he was seated here, trying to convince her to let him sleep in her room and hold her in his arms until her nightmares were gone.

He raised his gaze to her once more, and she let him see it; her desire to be kissed.

"No." He released her chin then, rising to his feet. "I... um..."

Shame washed over her at his rejection, and clutching her hands before her, she glanced down.

"I should let you sleep now. Good night, Sisi," he said.

She didn't dare raise her head as she watched his feet disappear through the door. Rising slowly to her wobbly feet, she made her way to her room and closed the door behind her. Her bed felt empty and lonely when she settled on it, but she shook the thought away. She would not let herself become dependent on Remi to fall asleep—never!