Chapter One

To and fro they went. Everybody seemed to be in a hurry. Running away, running to. Sisi couldn't tell which one it was. She tried to see the faces as they hurried by, but she couldn't, for her mind was preoccupied with worries of its own.

Turning her attention back to the rear-view mirror, she reached up and traced her index finger down the scar on her face, concealed perfectly by a generous amount of foundation. She had gotten so good at applying her makeup that she was getting lost behind it. She could no longer see her face. All she saw was a stranger staring back at her.

Readjusting the mirror, she turned from it and climbed gently down the car, a frown immediately claiming her face at the sound of the passenger's door opening; her bodyguard.

Turning to him, she scowled. She didn't need a bodyguard, she thought, and if the monster at home thought anybody on earth could harm her more than he did—daily—then he was mistaken. The protection she needed was from him, not by him. Something told her, however, that the guard was meant to keep her imprisoned rather than to keep her safe.

Letting out a breath she did not realize she had been holding, she set out to carry out the task before her as she made her way into the familiar store. It was routine. It was the only place Chief allowed her freedom to go to once every two weeks, and for the remaining thirteen days, she was his prisoner.

Still, this didn't feel like freedom. And to remind herself how much of a prisoner she was, she would purchase as much as she needed. Some times she would buy things she didn't need and would carry them—one by one—into the car herself. It was her reminder, her burden to bear. It signified the load she had been made to carry all by herself, even from a very young age.

In that second, she remembered her first day at the store. She had caused a terrible scene when a young attendant had tried to help her with her purchase. Perhaps she should have told him she didn't need his help in a civilized manner, yet she had yelled her lungs out, accused him of theft and forced the management to fire him.

Shoving the memory and the guilt it brought with it aside, she turned her attention to shopping. Money wasn't a problem. She had no use for money. Chief would not be insulted by letting her lack anything; he gave her everything, except the one thing she desired...

She stared at the trolley. Satisfied with her purchase, she pushed it to the counter and made the payment, before starting her bi-weekly ritual of loading the car. Taking the first item—a rather heavy box of juices—she turned and made her way out of the store. Her limbs ached with the load, but she ignored it as she placed it in the car and turned to go back into the store. But she was stopped dead in her tracks when she bumped into something firm.

A loud yelp escaped her lips as something took hold of her arm, steadying her.

"I'm sorry!" an unfamiliar male voice called, causing her to raise her head. She was instantly greeted by a set of warm brown eyes.