𝐌𝐎𝐂𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐉𝐀𝐘 ☘︎ 17

Oh, great. Not only does he want to kill me, he wants to kill himself as well.

"So who's first on your kill list?" I ask, my voice dripping in sarcasm. "Me or yourself?"

"I just murdered a member of our squad!" He protests. "You're right, Willow. I'm a mutt, and it's only a matter of time before I snap again. I'm not in control. I need a nightlock pill, so I can die when I need to."

"If it gets to that point, or if you go for my sister again, I'll kill you myself," Gale promises.

"Er- I can protect myself, Gale, for your information! I don't need you to save my skin!" I shout indignantly.

Austin, meanwhile, says. "Thank you."

"No!" I protest again.

"It's only fair, Willow," Austin shrugs.

I look mutinously at Gale before standing up and going to sit beside Finnick.

We find some food in the cupboards and tuck in. "I don't think I ever really understood the Capitol until now," I hear Gale say to Katniss. "You eat like this, you'll believe anything."

Suddenly, the anthem starts to play like it does in the games for dead tributes, and sure enough, on the screen there's the faces of our squad.

Cressida comes first, then Castor, then Pollux, then Mesalla. After the camera crew comes Finnick, Austin, and me. They obviously didn't have faces for anyone else, or they just didn't want to put them up there.

Then Snow's on the screen, addressing Panem. "So, Willow Hawthorne, a poor, unstable girl with nothing more than a small talent with an axe, is dead. Not a thinker, not a leader. Simply a face, plucked from the masses. Was she valuable? She was extremely valuable to your rebellion, because you have no vision. No true leader among you. You call yourselves an alliance, but we all saw what that means. Your soldiers are at each others' throats-"

Suddenly, it's not Snow I see on the screen, but Coin, as Beetee must've interrupted the broadcast again. "For those of you who don't know me, please allow me to introduce myself. I am President Alma Coin, leader of the rebellion. I have interrupted a broadcast from your President in which he attempted to defame a brave young woman. A face picked from the masses he called her - as if a leader, a true leader, could be anything else."

Her eyes start to go slightly teary. "I had the privilege of knowing a small town girl from the Seam in District Twelve, who survived the Hunger Games and the Quarter Quell, and rose up and turned a nation of slaves into an army!"

She's actually crying now, but inside, I know she must be celebrating, she finally got what she wanted. My death.

"Dead or alive Willow Hawthorne will remain the face of this revolution," she promises. She will not have died for nothing!"

"I had no idea I meant so much to her," I drawl sarcastically. "I guess now I'm dead I'm a lot more likeable."

"Her vision and ours will be realised. A free Panem, with self-determination for all, and in her memory, we wil all find the strength to rid Panem of its oppressors! Thank you, and be safe."

REMEMBER THE MOCKINGJAY shows on the screen, complete with my four note tune and a picture of me in Eight. Then the screen fades to just the seal again.

"Snow's in his mansion," I say, getting the holo out and placing it on the table next to me. I activate it and the map of the Capitol shows. "Where is that?"

Cressida points it out as everyone comes around us. "That's us," she points to a house on the outskirts. "That's the city circle," it's all the way on the other side. "It's at least seventy or seventy five blocks north"