𝐌𝐎𝐂𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐉𝐀𝐘 ☘︎ 9

I end up under a stairwell. I sit there for hours, falling asleep and getting back up again. I suspect it's been about twelve hours when Haymitch comes in.

He sits down opposite me. "So this is the end, huh? I s'pose you're just gonna hide down here forever?"

I look down. It's easier than making eye contact. Then I speak my first words in hours. "I can't be the Mockingjay," I say. My voice comes out croaky.

Haymitch rolls his eyes. "Not the Mockingjay, just Willow," he brushes a stray hair behind my ear and this is when I realise that this crazy, annoying, despicable drunkard in front of me has become the father I lost six years ago.

"You know, you're the only real friend I have down here," Haymitch goes on to admit. He stammers a bit before asking me. "I don't suppose they gave you... any medication-"

"You're fucking unbelievable," I roll my eyes, still not looking at him.

"Okay, but I meant what I said," He backtracks, sighing before delivering the real news. "Look, the reason I'm here is to let you know, they're rescuing Austin."

"What?" I raise my head, barely believing my ears. The surprise has knocked away any thoughts about not making eye contact.

Haymitch explains. "The dam went down in District Five, took out most of the power to the Capitol, knocked out their signal defence. Beetee's inside the system now, wreaking all kinds of havoc. A window is open to us, for how long, I don't know, I guess until the Capitol can get the power back on."

"And President Coin?" I ask. Is this a secret plan, brewed behind her back?

Haymitch rolls his eyes. "You know, I can never fully support that woman in light of the prohibition they have going on around here, but Plutarch got word that Austin, Johanna, Enobaria and Annie are in the tribute centre. And with the power out, Coin sees this as an opportunity. She knows Austin is the Capitol's weapon, they same way you're ours. And as opposed to having you two pointing at each other... she's going to get him."

I instantly move. "I have to go help them-"

"Whoa, whoa, wait, kiddo," Haymitch laughs and drags me back down. "What are you gonna do, just jump outta here and go storm the Capitol? Besides, it's already underway. Six soldiers went in, volunteer only, guess who was the first brave soul to sign up."

And it's the way he says it that I know exactly who.

Gale.

I draw in a shaky breath.

"Oh, shit."

☘︎☘︎☘︎

Gale and Austin... Austin and Gale... my brother and my love...

Today I might lose both of them.

Haymitch and I rush back into command as I hear another propo being filmed.

"This is Finnick Odair. Winner of the sixty fifth Hunger Games. And I'm coming to you from District Thirteen alive and well. We've survived an assault from the Capitol, with no causalities..."

Finnick stands in the exact same spot I was supposed to be in, and recites his lines. But he is only one of the faces on the screen. All six of the soldiers' headcameras are up there. Boggs is the only other one I recognise... and Gale...

His face was set, but he looked sad somehow. I knew that look, but I can't remember from where. He's getting Austin out for me.

"But I'm not here to give you recent news..." Finnick trails back on and into my ears.