Coffee Fixes Everything

I rubbed my eyes, just to make sure I was really seeing what I was seeing. Hudson was still there, and I couldn't wrap my mind around why.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"To be here with my bestie," he said, lowering his eyes. "And the...fetus."

"Well I dunno where you've been for the past two weeks."

"Trying to get my shit together."

"Same," I said.

Hudson sighed. "I told my parents. They were pissed. My dad told me I need to step up and 'be a man' but I literally have no idea how to do that. So I thought this would be a start. But right as I was able to get out of class, there was an accident on the road because old people legit can't drive."

"But why now? I haven't heard from you at all, Hudson! You treated me like shit back at Planned Parenthood."

"Yeah, because I don't want to be a dad when I'm still in high school!"

"Well I hate to break it to you, but you are one. Whether you like it or not. But since you said you wanted nothing to do with this, I'm just surprised that you're here."

"Because my parents made me feel like a total ass about it. I acted like an idiot toward you when I shouldn't have."

"Okay, I can agree with that," I said, a smile making its face across my lips. "I miss you, but I'm still pissed. I just...need more time."

"Well, we're both done with school for the day and the coffee shop is right across the street. How much time do you need? Because I've got all damn day. And I'm buying."

"You've got me convinced. Let's go."

I hopped in the car and went with Hudson across the street. He ordered me a large hot chocolate and a warm croissant. We found a cozy booth in the corner where we could catch up. I could finally tell him about what happened in Orlando.

"Hell to the no! Zoey really did you like that?" he said.

"I feel like it was a dream. I feel like something that shitty couldn't have really happened to me."

"What a ho," Hudson said, rolling his eyes. "Knowing now that your dance friends did that, I feel even worse."

"As you should," I said. "My life has been a hot mess. And in three days I have to face my entire extended family."

"I wish my parents were taking another overseas vacation so I could hang with you guys again on Thanksgiving," he said. "So like...how did it go?"

"How did what go?"

"Your appointment! What else do you think I'm talking about?" he said, sending us both into a fit of laughter.

"Everything's good. Do you want to see the updated pictures?"

"Sure." I took them out of my purse and handed them to him. "Do they know what it is yet?"

"No! It's way too early. You usually find out at around four months."

"I hope it's a girl," he said, handing me back the pictures. "I know nothing about boys. I think if I had a son that was into, you know, all those trucks and football things I'd literally die. I could never."

I took the pictures back and put them into my purse. "People keep asking me and I honestly don't care. I just want it to be healthy."

"Oh please. You could not have a boy."

"It's my kid! I really don't care what I get."

"You say that now. But I guarantee if it's a boy you'll be super disappointed. I know you. You'd love a little mini me that you can dress up and take to ballet lessons at the dance studio."

I rolled my eyes. "Anyone can take dance. Your bff Easton is taking ballroom dancing right now."

"Oh year, Easton!" he said, giving me an awkward laugh. "We're...kinda a thing right now." I held my jaw so it wouldn't fall off my face and onto the table. "Oh, don't give me that look! You and Natty shipped us all the damn time."

"I-I know. I just didn't think it would actually happen. And now it's kinda complicated with the baby and all, because I'm guessing you want to be involved for real now, right?"

"Well...I dunno. I love you and I want to be there for you but like, I have literally no idea how to do anything with a baby. I don't want to deal with those disgusting diapers and throwing up but...we've been besties since we met at that support group in second grade. I'm not gonna abandon you."

"You kinda already did, though."

"I know. I know. But I'm not gonna do it again. I'm gonna try to do this. I just...don't know what to do."

I shrugged. "I don't know either. I feel like I don't even know how to be pregnant, let alone raise a baby. I'm glad my aunt is an OBGYN because my poor mom has no clue what I'm going through."

"And my parents got me when I was five, so in terms of babies, they're no help either," he said. "But we do have each other. Do you think they have YouTube tutorials on how to take care of babies?"

I laughed. "Probably. They probably do."

We sat there and just chatted until the sun went down. I felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. I didn't know how much of a help Hudson would actually be, but for now, the emotional support was good. It was a lot better than nothing, at least.