- 20 -

"Hi my baby" Ennessey had her arms out for her mom but pamela bypassed her and gave me one

"Mom really" I chuckled as I gave her a hug.

"Wassup mama two" I stepped back as I looked beside me. "This is my mother Shanice"

"Shanice..." she started to snap her fingers before breaking into a smile. "Wait Shanice Davis"

"Yeah... oh my gosh. Pamela" Ennessey and I both shared a confused glance as the two women shared a hug.

"Y'all know each other?" I asked.

"We went to high school together" My mom said. "—we were both in the yearbook club"

"Yearbook club, this the first I'm hearing of this" I said making my mother laugh.

"There's a lot you don't know about me honey, me and Pamela were good friends but we lost connection with one another shortly after we graduated" she hooked her arm with Ennessey mom.

"We have a lot to catch up on girl" they walked towards the kitchen and started chatting.

"I really didn't think my mom had friends in school" I looked over at Ennessey as she let out a small laugh. "—I mean, she was focused on finding a husband her whole life"

"I doubt it" she shook her head.

"No Saige I'm serious. Remember the whole brown tradition" I thought back to the conversation. She told me how every woman in her family was raised to be a housewife and let the man be a provider.

"So you want to be a housewife then?" I joked.

"Don't start 'na" I let out a laugh as the door opened behind us. We both moved out the way as her other sister Stella and her husband walked in.

"Oh wassup man" I said as we slapped hands. "Joey right?"

"Yeah...How you doing? It's been a little minute since I seen y'all" he said smiling with his arm tucked tightly over Stella's shoulder.

"Hmph" I peeped the eye roll from Cece as she leaned on her foot.

"We figured we'll visit since we were in town. You still want that rematch?" He smacked his lips making me laugh.

"I ain't 'bout to pull another Charlie horse messing with you or Khalil" at the mention of his name, he walked around the corner smiling ear to ear.

"Damn both my niggas here" Khalil said as we both dapped him up. "Wassup Stells"

"Hey"

"Let's go in the kitchen Stella while the guys talk" Ennessey said but she gave an unreadable glare.

"I'm fine here" I felt like I was missing something.

"Oh I been meaning to ask, did you ever figure out what happened to the community center? I seen on the news that people were trapped inside" Joey let out a sigh and pinched his nose.