Chapter 24

“Sneaking around again, Fern?” The smooth sound of Aemond's voice filled her ears and she spun around immediately

He was smirking at her. That damn look in his eye like he could see right through her.
“I'm not sneaking. Helaena wanted me to try on some dresses.”
“Ah.” Was all he said as he stepped closer. Too close. She craned her neck to look up at him, gulping as he came within inches of her. That smirk never left his face.
“Ah?” She asked, raising her eyebrow. “Is that all you have to say?”
“Do you want me to say more?”
The way he spoke... almost a soft whisper. So calm. So quiet. With so much power behind it.
She frowned, folding her arms. "What do you want, Aemond?"
The prince grinned. Like a predator toying with his prey. Like he was about to tell her exactly what he wanted.
But he refrained.
For once, not because of duty or honour. No. Fern had seen a change in him since he'd come home from Storm's End.
He refrained because he knew exactly how to make her want more.
“Helaena was right.” He said softly, his one eye running over her face... and then a little lower. “You do look beautiful.”
“Aemond...” She whispered, not sure whether it was a warning or a plea.
The door opened suddenly.
Helaena looked out into the hallway, staring at the two of them.
Despite what some in the Keep thought, she was no fool. Fern knew that better than most. The Princess saw everything and knew everything.
She was underestimated because people found her odd. Just as Fern was underestimated for her station.
But in that moment, she knew Helaena could see exactly what the two of them were up to.
She smiled cheerily up at her little brother. “Aemond! Are you coming to see Fern's dresses?” She paused, but did not give him long enough to actually answer. Just as he opened his mouth to make an excuse, she spoke again. “Good! Come on!”
With that, she grabbed Aemond's arm and pulled him inside.
Fern had to stifle a laugh. She knew Aemond only allowed one person in the world to manhandle him in such a way. It was almost adorable.
But then she was reminded that she was the centre of attention.
The two Targaryens stared at her; Aemond looking uncomfortable and Helaena looking extremely pleased with herself.
“I think you should try this one on first.” She said, passing the dress to Fern. She gestured over to the dressing screen with a smile.
Fern looked between the Prince and the Queen, her eyes wide and her cheeks red. But there was no use trying to argue or say no. She'd never been able to say no to Helaena's soft smile and gentle voice.
She took the dress, walking behind the dressing screen to change.
Aemond couldn't see her. She knew that. And she knew he was a gentleman enough to give her yet more privacy if she asked for it. But it was almost as if she could feel his eyes on her. Even with the dressing screen between them, she knew he was watching.
Her dress fell to the floor, some of the fabric falling into Aemond's view.
Behind that screen, Fern Waters wore nothing. Not a single scrap of clothing.
Memories of that day came back to him. His thirteenth nameday. The way she'd walked over to him, sending the other women away, looking like a goddess come to life. The way she'd kissed him and stroked his hair and softly lowered her hips onto his. And how she'd felt... Gods above.
He wondered if she still looked the same beneath those dresses of hers. He doubted it.
She was a woman grown now. Almost twenty four years old. She'd changed in the time since he'd first met her. He'd noticed it even with her dresses on.
The curves of her body had grown. Enticingly so. And if she'd been a goddess all those years ago... he could only imagine what she looked like now.
Fern stepped out from behind the screen, dressed in a pretty green dress. It was nice enough and suited her well, but everything suited Fern.
“Try the blue one.” He heard himself saying before he could stop it.
Fern and Helaena both looked up at him.
He recalled the first time he'd ever seen her. Dressed in a blue silk dress that Aegon had already torn open.
Blue had always been her colour in his mind.
Like the ocean.
Like the skies he rode Vhagar through.
Fern gave a small nod, picking up the blue dress and returning behind the screen.
He thought about the many times he'd laced up her corset for her. The times he'd had to fight back the urge to push her against the wall and rip off her clothes.
He could feel his sister watching him, looking at him like she knew exactly what he was thinking. So he turned his attention to the floor.
When Fern stepped out around the screen again, it was like the first sunrise after a long winter.
She was beautiful beyond comparison. Beyond belief.
All these years he had wanted her. Needed her.
This woman was not meant to work upon the streets or pleasure his drunken fool of a brother. This woman was meant to be a queen, worshipped by the masses. Adored and held and given everything in this world.
She was a work of art.
“Blue looks much better!” Helaena said with a bright smile, clapping her hands together.
Fern looked down at herself with a shy blush.
“Are you going to accompany Fern to the feast, brother?” Helaena smiles sweetly. Fern and Aemond both stare in her direction.
“I... Well...” He looks flustered and unsure for just a moment. She knew what he was going to say. That it wasn't right or proper. But then he takes a breath and looks back at Fern with a smirk. “Of course. We cannot let Fern go alone, can we?”
She felt hot. Her neck was hot. Her chest was hot. Her face was too. She gulped. “That's very... Very kind, My Prince.” She bit the inside of her cheek, feeling her legs shake beneath the cover of that blue dress. “I should retire for a little while. I was kept up late last night.”
Helaena smiled. “Alright. Well, we shall see you at the feast tomorrow anyway, I suppose.”
She nodded, curtseying as best she could, and began to walk to the door.
Aemond stepped between Fern and the door, his one eyed gaze fixed upon her.
She stared up at him, her breath catching in her throat.
He stood so tall, carried himself with such certainty and authority.
He visibly smirked at her reaction and then politely moved to open the door.
“Rest well.” He whispered, leaning in close as she moved to pass. She could feel his breath fan against her cheek and her eyes closed as she gulped again. “You may well need it.”
Her eyes shot open and she stared up at him, red-faced and at an absolute loss for words.
Silently, with her mouth agape, she rushed off.
When she found solitude, her back hit the wall and she slid down it. Her heart was racing.
All she could think about was Aemond.