Chapter 6

“Them a' fine clothes, Waters

“Them a' fine clothes, Waters.” Garin, an old man who peddled wares on a street cart just by the brothel, said.
She'd known him her whole life.
When she'd been a little girl, Garin used to smuggle her grapes and scraps of the nicest bread she'd ever eaten until her time in the Red Keep.
“They should be. I've been working hard for them.”
“Aye.” He shook his head. “Lying on your back all day. Who in these parts been paying tha' much fer you?”
“Fern's got herself a Prince.” Bella, a girl only a few years older than Fern with locks of flaming red hair, said.
Fern always thought Bella was the most beautiful girl she knew. Cedra always said she'd be in a fine whorehouse soon enough.
And yet, somehow, it was Fern who Aegon always came to see. Not Bella. It was curious to her.
Garin looked Fern over. “You be careful around them folk, Fernie. They in't like our sorts.”
“They're not born in gutters, you mean?”
“For one.”
Fern laughed. “No harm, Garin. It's only work.”
“Prince Aegon took her to the Red Keep the other day.” Bella smiled, throwing Fern an apple.
Garin shook his head at her and tutted. “No good'll come of that, you mark my words. And that one, Prince Aegon, ooh I 'ear he gets up to all sorts, you know? You be careful. Whoores goo missin' all't time and you get too close to them lot, they won't think twice about getting rid of you.”
Fern smiled, looking down at the cobbled floor. “You do talk a lot of rot, you know? Aegon wouldn't do that.”
“Aegon is it? No titles? Oh, aye, Fernie. You're real detached from 'im.”
“Get on with you, you old goat.” She laughed. “He's a customer. That's all. Just like all the others.”
“Except Fernie's not had to work the last few days because her Prince as been paying for her time even when he's not there to have her.” Bella said.
Garin hummed, folding his arms as he raised an eyebrow at Fern.
“Oh, shush yourself. At least I'm earning my keep.”
“That you are and more.” Bella said.
Fern rolled her eyes, tossing Garin a coin for the bread she took and making her way through the old streets of King's Landing.
Bread was a luxury she'd never really had the opportunity to try very often, save for when Garin took pity on her. But she could afford that and more these days.
Many stopped to stare at her.
“Isn't that little Fern from the inn?” One woman muttered beneath her breath.
“Can't be.” Her friend said, gawking.
Bella took Fern's arm, leading her back home and away from all the people.
“You'll be the talk of the town soon.”
“I don't see why.”
“You're our Prince's favourite, Fern. A Prince that many of them fine folk want to be King some day.”
Fern stared up at the other girl awkwardly, chewing on her lower lip. She smoothed her skirts, and the two of them both returned home together.

When they got back to the inn, a man in the garments of palace staff stood with Cedra looking rather uncomfortable. He was some servant or another and, for a moment, she feared the worst.
That Aegon was bored of her.
That he'd sent this man to tell her so and to finish his payments.
“Here she is.” Cedra said, gesturing over at Fern.
The man turned to her, a small pile of books in hand.
Fern blinked.
“Fern Waters?” He asked.
“The very same.”
“I have been sent by Prince Aemond Targaryen to deliver these to you, and have been instructed to inform you that he has sent for a tutor to help teach you to read.”
Her eyes widened and she stared at the pile of worn books that the man was holding.
Aemond had picked them out for her. He'd taken the time to choose books for her and to send for a tutor to help her read.
Why?
He didn't even know her.
And from everything she'd heard of him, he wasn't exactly the most friendly boy.
“I can't afford a tutor.” Fern said meekly, already knowing what answer she'd receive to that problem.
“The Prince has paid.”
Seeing the look of astonishment of Fern's face, Cedra swooped in and took the books.
“Fern, shall I put these in your room?”
The girl nodded.
She stared at the servant for a little longer, her thoughts a cloudy mess. What was happening?
How had she found herself in bed with one Prince and taught to read by another?
It was strange. Terribly, confusingly, strange.
“Please send the Prince my thanks, sir. I– I have no words. This is most... Most gracious.”
The man nodded. “Will that be all?”
She thought for a moment.
Was it all?
In truth, she wanted nothing more than to tell Aegon about what was happening... But the idea of springing her newfound literacy on him was all the more exciting. He'd probably think it a terrible waste of time, but she rather looked forward to teasing him over the prospect of her becoming an educated woman. She wondered what he'd do if she left her employ.
“I'm afraid I don't have much to offer him as thanks. Would he take a ribbon?”
The man smiled, as if trying to hold back laughter at the idea of Prince Aemond being given a ribbon. “I'm sure The Prince does not expect a gift.”
Fern nodded. “Oh. Alright. Well... Tell him thank you. And tell him he can visit me any time he pleases, you know. Really. And...” She thought for a moment. “Did I say thank you already?”
“You did.”
“Oh. Good. Right. Well, I shouldn't keep you. Uh... Thank you too.”
The man inclined his head before leaving.
Fern stood in place in dumb silence. She stared over at Bella and the girl laughed.
“I don't know what it is about you, Fern Waters, but you're like a drug to these Princes. How do you do it?”
“I have absolutely no idea.”