Chapter 17

Arizonas pov

Days had passed since the storm, and Callie and I had just come inside from cleaning up the front yard to find a little Sofia sleeping on the couch, tablet in hand with a YouTube video playing. Despite the fact that I couldn't say I was happy about her current nap which would lead to an extra energetic Sofia at bedtime, I'll admit, the kid has good timing. It has been days since I found out that Marks estranged daughter had moved to Seattle to attempt to gain some of Sofia's inheritance, and I need to tell Callie. After days of trying to decide how to say it, I realized that there was no easy way. While Callie was in the refrigerator taking out ingredients to make a fresh salad for us, I decided to tell her.

"Calliope, I really think we need to talk about something," she turned around to look at me with a loving and concerned expression.

"What is it gorgeous? Are you feeling okay?"

"Calliope, I'm feeling fine, but I do need to tell you something. Remember the new doctor in the peds ward, Dr. Sloan?" I asked. She turned around and looked at me. Apparently the tone in my voice said it all, and I knew she knew.

"Just say it," she responded.

"She's Marks daughter, only biologically, of course, and I believe she's here for a portion of Sofia's inheritance." I could see Callie's face turning red as she mustered a response.

"Are you kidding me? Mark didn't even know her! He wouldn't have wanted a complete stranger to have what was meant to be Sofia's!"

"I know, I do."

"Do you really? Because you're the one working with her and you seem totally relaxed about the whole thing!" Usually, I would've been mad or upset at Calliope's words, but I understood her anger and decided to let it go.

"Calliope, trust me, I do. Which is why I can tell you its going to be okay. We'll call our lawyer, and talk to Mark's daughter and resolve it. It'll be okay." Callie rolled her eyes at me tiredly but seemed to absorb what I had said. The past couple days of dealing with my insurance company over minor repairs and cleaning up the storm damage had been a lot on top of adjusting to our new normal.

"Can we just talk about this later please? I'm sorry for snapping at you," she responded. I nodded and approached her, at which point we shared a gentle kiss and briefly held each other lovingly before Sofia walked in.

"Gross, Moms!" she said. We couldn't help but to chuckle. Although it's always disappointing when our intimate moments end, I couldn't be happier that once again, we were having them and living as a family. If anyone is allowed to break our moments of intimacy, it's Sofia.

Now that our little energizer bunny was awake again, Callie and I continued as usual. I made Sofia Macaroni for lunch and Callie continued making our salad. When Sofia went back to her tablet before lunch was served, Callie and I snuck in a few more kisses. Despite our affectionate behavior, though, Callie still had to mention my questionable cooking.

"Better keep an eye on that pot to make sure you don't burn down the house," Callie chucked as I obliviously admired Sofia while her macaroni over boiled. When Mark and I cooked, everyone knew that he was the only one actually cooking. I just followed orders and was there for conversation. It's in moments like this where I wished I had listened to him more, even just about cooking tips.

With his biological daughter in town and the constant reminders of him, I only missed him more. If only he was still here, everything would be so different. Callie and I would've probably never split, and she would have never moved to New York for Penny. He wouldn't have allowed it. His biological daughter would probably have ran like a bat out of hell the moment she met his strong and stubborn personality as well.