Wattpad Original
There are 8 more free parts

13. Everything Will be Fine.

"Hey, this guy is cute," Jess says, pointing her finger at Chloe's screen, completely unaware that I'm standing by the door and watching them.

My daughter smiles, and a flush rises on her cheeks. "Do you think so?"

"Yeah. I would totally befriend him. What's his name?"

"Tyler, and he's one of the naughtiest boys in my school. He gets a time-out almost every day," my daughter says while her finger is dancing on her screen.

"Ouch. Sounds like trouble." Jess scrunches her nose, and it's when she catches my figure by the door. "Oh, look, your mama is here!"

Chloe lifts her gaze in my direction and smiles again. "Hi, Mam. I thought you would be late."

Swallowing the bitter lump in my throat, I force myself to grin widely and walk to them. "When your dad texted me about Cas, I promised him I would be on time to collect you. I thought he'd told you that." I bend over to kiss the top of her hair. "How was your day?"

She turns off her screen as if she doesn't want me to see which picture she was just gushing over with Jess, and it hits me twice harder in the guts. "My day was okay," she says, oblivious to her effect on me. "I saw your text, but" — she shrugs — "you're never free at five-thirty anymore."

Not planning to stay longer and get cozy, I sit down on Ashton's reading chair but stick my bottom to the edge. "That's true. But not today." I turn to look at Jess and say, "I thought it was Andy who was supposed to watch Chloe. I hope she didn't mess up with your schedule."

Chloe gives a scowl. "I didn't–"

"No, not at all," Jess cuts my daughter's line. "It was supposed to be John who kept an eye on her, but I offered my help. I need to wait for an early dinner appointment with a client, anyway." She chuckles slightly. "And it was funny to see her cute face behind the assistant's desk. She really has Ashton's face."

"Andy said I could sit there until he was back," Chloe chimes in.

"Back from where?" I glance at the door. "And where is he now?"

"He's with Ashton somewhere in this building. Ashton said sir John would check on me," she says, smiling at Jess, "but then Jess showed up."

I groan inwardly. Among all of the people in this building, it has to be Jess. The world does have such a sense of humor. "I see."

"Ashton is on the headquarters' floor and he won't be here before six. You know the board meeting is always painful," Jess adds.

"I don't doubt that." I nod and slap my knees slightly before standing up. "Alright. I guess it's time for me and Chloe to go home. I need to make dinner today. I'll see you around, Jess, and thanks, again."

"Don't worry about it," she says, also standing up and walking to the door. "And Chloe, I wish you the best for the school performance. You'll rock the stage, girl."

Chloe grins widely. "Thank you."

After Jess disappears to the elevator, Chloe and I walk side by side along the corridor and hop on the next elevator car. I was trying to act cool in front of Jess as if her being friends with Chloe didn't affect me at all, as if Chloe smiling more at her than at her own mother didn't make me sad. Now that we're alone, I don't have the energy to pretend anymore, especially after the hectic day I had.

"Are you okay?" Chloe breaks the silence as we climb onto my car.

"I'm just...tired," I say truthfully.

"We can order food then. You don't have to cook."

I shake my head. "Nah. I'm tired in the head. I still can cook."