|𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞|

E T H E R E A L
chapter three

IT TOOK SELENE A LONG TIME TO REACH RICHMOND, as she kept getting irritated with the shrill voice of the map application. She also kept getting distracted with all of the new places she was seeing as she has never left her hometown before.

Once she arrived at a little coffee shop with tinted windows, she knew she had to keep her excitement under control, since she was about to meet a vampire encyclopedia.

After she parked her car and entered the little coffee shop, she let her gaze travel across the hidden vampires. And of course, sitting at the very far back of the coffee shop, close to the tinted windows, sipping on what looked like a cup of coffee mixed with blood, was the man she was looking for, Slater.

Her heart beat faster as she approached the vampire, completely aware of the hungry gazes that the other vampires gave her. Selene did not really care, however, because of the assurance Irabella gave her about her life. She was immortal after all.

Slater, having heard the unusual heart beat, glanced up to see a beautiful woman staring straight at him. He didn't know her, but by the knowing glint in her eye, she definitely knew him.

"Is this seat occupied?" the woman, having reached his table, quirked an eyebrow and a smirk slowly grazed her features.

It left Slater momentarily blinded, and if he had a beating heart, he was sure that it would have skipped a beat. In desire or fear, he did not know.

Slater nodded at the chair in front of him, indicating the girl to sit with him. With bated breath he asked what came through his mind right as she came through the door.

"Who are you?"

The girl smiled at him in return, her warm eyes shimmering in the sun, something that Slater admired about her. 

"Hmm," the girl hummed mysteriously, prolonging the inevitable as her heart raced in excitement or fear, he couldn't distinguish the emotions.

"I'm Selene, and I know who you are Slater," the girl graciously chuckled, looking at him through her lashes in happiness, contrasting the emotions that the man was feeling at the moment; fear and horror.

"How do you know?"

"Nevermind that, sweetheart," Selene clicked her tongue playfully while silently placing a bubble around them so they could have a private conversation, "I'm here to help you and in return you help me."

Slater was confused, "I don't need help with anything."

"What about your little sun problem?" The girl raised her brow in amusement knowing very well the desire for a daylight ring.

"Y-you're a witch?!" Slater stuttered at the revelation and peeked around to see if any of the vampires heard him, but they were as oblivious as ever.

"Mother Nature if we're being more specific," Selene chuckled at his shocked face, "But I'm willing to help you with your problem."

"Are you willing to give me a daylight ring?"

Selene hummed in affirmation, "And in return, you help me with anything that I need."

Slater was over the moon. He had the chance to walk in the sun, and it was sitting right in front of him.

"But most of all, I want to be your friend, Slater." the woman looked at him softly, slowly reaching a hand across the table to cup his in return.

"Be my friend, why?" He muttered distractedly, feeling connected to her once she had grazed her fingers along his pale skin. He couldn't explain the warmth that the girl gave him with just a gesture. His soul suddenly seemed to understand the muddled thoughts that her touch gave him. He knew to trust her, as if he was meant to this whole time.