Chapter 47

Alessandro

I feel my heart beat in my ears as all the nurses and doctors walk in and announce Violet has to start pushing. They set her legs up on the stirrups and bunch her blanket up at her waist.

"Push on the next contraction sweetie." The labor nurse smiles as she holds Violets leg.

Her eyes go wide. She looks over at me, silently asking for help. I take her hand in mine, leaning down to her ear to whisper, "you can do it, I know you can. You're strong, yea? You can do whatever you put your mind to."

She nods and crushes my hand with how hard she squeezes. She swallow thickly and hesitantly mumbles, "what if I can't?"

Her mom shakes her head and grabs her other hand. "Listen to Aless Mija, you can do it."

Violet gasps looking at her stomach at the same time three nurses scream, "push! Hold for ten seconds honey."

Violet groans, squeezing both of our hands as hard as she can as she pushes. She falls back, and pants. "I can't oh, I can't."

Her mom's lips quiver as she looks down at her. The nurse rubs her leg to encourage her as they tell her to push again. She gets up, pulls my arms closer till her head can rest on my chest and pushes again.

She screams so loud it's sends shivers down my back from the pain in her voice.

"Oh!" She yells, pushing her face more into my chest. "Oh my god." She cries shaking her head.

"You've got this." I murmur in her ear, gathering all of her sweaty hair. "You can do it."

"Yea." She nods, "water please." I each over for the pink cup with a straw and place it at her lips. She gulps as mush as she can before she has to push again.

I whisper in her ear the entire time and kiss her forehead as she screams over and over again.

"One more, come on. I can see the head. One more and you can get your baby out, mama." Violet nods at the doctor's words and clutches my hand harder.

I count in her ear to ten, helping her keep track of how long she should push.

Violet gasps looking down between her legs in time to see the doctors pulling the baby out.

A shrill cry makes my knees want to buckle in relief. "Oh my baby." She reaches shaky arms out as they place her on Violets chest.

She immediately stops crying and places both hands on Violets chest. "Oh." Violet sighs touching the baby's cheek.

She looks up at me with shining eyes. "Azalea."

I laugh and lean down to kiss them both. "That's Azalea." I nod. Azalea opens her eyes at my voice and looks up and me. Her tiny little hand reaches out and grasps my finger.

Violet and I both laugh and I can't resist giving her another kiss.

"August 30th, 3:45 am!"

"You did it." I whisper.

"I did it?" She laughs with tears leaving her eyes. "I really did it?"

"Yea." I caress's her head, "you're going to have to do it again." I laugh when her eyes widen.

The nurse takes the baby from her arms and takes her over to a crib for blood work and foot prints.

"Time to push again." Her mom laughs wiping her own tears.

"Right now?" Violets eyes say trained on our baby as work gets done on her.

"Right now." The doctor confirms.

She resumes her position of leaning on my chest and gripping my arm when her next contraction hits.

Her scream breaks off into a sob and she shakes her head. "This one hurts."

"You can do it." I whispers wrapping an arm around her. "Come on baby, get Rosalyn here."

"I can't." She cries. She holds my shirt to her face as her entire body trembles.

"It might feel like you can't but remember what your mom said. It'll be worth it. So so worth it." She nods and pushes again when they tell her to.

"Ah!" One hand flies to her lower stomach. "It hurts. Oh god it hurts."

"Keep pushing! This position can be dangerous for the baby."

"D-dangerous?" She cries, "how?"

"The longer we stay here the longer she goes without oxygen."

"Come on, amore." I push away my fear and try my best to comfort her. "You can do it, we both know you can."

Her head falls back and she screams pushing for a long ten seconds.

She glances down when the doctors pull the baby out of her.

"Why ain't she crying?" I ask holding Violet in my arms. None of the nurses or doctors answer as they take her to a similar crib as her sister's.

Violet sobs in my chest, "Aless is she ok?"

"I don't know." My own hands begin to tremble as they roam her body. "I'm not sure."

"Please." She cries. "She's okay right? Aless tell me. Say she's okay."

I gulp wanting so bad to say what she's asking me to. The next two minutes are the longest of my life.

"August 30th, 3:59am!"

Another similar loud cry pierces the air. "Thank god." I drop my forehead against Violet's feeling tears stream down my cheeks. "She's okay. You did it. You did all of it."

"I did it all? Is it over?"

I nod holding her face. "You did it all."

Soon both babies are wrapped in the same blankets and placed on her chest.

Our beautiful, beautiful babies. Azalea and Rosalyn.

"It seems unreal." Violet smiles. "That they're finally here."

The medical team and Violet's mom all excuse themselves to give us privacy as we get to hold our daughters.

Violet places both of them on my chest and I swear my heart doubles in size. Just the weight of them on my chest is enough to fill my heart with all the love I could possible get.

Their tiny hands reach up at me, feeling around me. Feeling my skin. "Hi babies." I whisper. "It's daddy." They both open their eyes and glance up at me.

"It does seem unreal." I look over at Violet who's watching us with an expression full of love. So much love.

Little baby coos bring back my attention to the two angels on my chest. Their hair is the same shade of Violets, that light brown that I adore so much.

Their eyes are gray, yet to gain their color. Their noses and lips are identical to their mom's.

"I love you." I tell them both, laying a kiss on each of their foreheads.

"You would always kiss my belly twice." Violet says sleepily. "Now you get to give them each a kiss." Her eyes flutter close and the smile on her face softens.

"Get some rest." I lean over kissing her lips. "We'll be here when you wake up."

I'll be forever grateful to Violet for giving me this. For giving us a family of our own.