02. THE TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS OF GHOSTING

*3 DAYS BEFORE JENNA WOLF'S DEATH*

"i was just being polite! he's my friend." jenna argued to her boyfriend of three years in the school parking lot.

she'd just gotten out of cheer practice and he was nagging on about how she was 'flirting' with a boy who approached her on the field for math notes.

"what did i tell you about talking to other guys?" he flipped her body around to face him as he got angrier.

the brunette scoffed, "so i can't have a life now? i want to be with you luke, but you can't imprison me like this."

"just get in the truck." he gritted his teeth, seething as he looked down at her. she was so afraid that she froze, accidentally ignoring his demands out of pure fear.

"ow, that hurts!" she shouted in agony as the boy tightly gripped her arm, trying to drag her to the door of his truck.

"you two okay over there?" a man that jenna recognized called over to them from the other side of the parking lot. it was mr. anderson, her homeroom teacher.

jenna watched as her boyfriend immediately released her from his grasp, plastering a fake smile on his face as he noticed the teacher watching, "yep. everything's great. right jen?"

the girl paused for a moment. she wanted to burst into tears and spill her guts out. but he was staring at her with an intense subtle look. "..yeah." jenna gulped finally responding, "we're fine. see you tomorrow, mr. anderson."

"are you just gonna stare at this guy your entire afterlife, or-" charley nudged maddie, who was standing by the stairway window watching xavier baxter.

"hmm?" maddie grunted, still not really paying attention to him.

"and what are you looking at?" charley redirected his attention to the brunette who was staring off into space as well, but instead of watching someone, she was thinking back to a moment.

"oh. nothing, just thinking." she snapped back into reality.. or whatever the heck this new life was.

"i mean, he's cute maddie. i'll give you that."

"did you know xavier?" jenna turned her head to look at the nears girl. she couldn't grasp why she would be so obsessed with watching him.

"he was my boyfriend, and he's not doing very well." maddie told her, turning around to go downstairs to see the boy as he entered the building.

jenna pursed her lips in confusion. last she remembered xavier was hooking up with claire, a girl from the cheer team.

"what?" charley questioned after seeing the inquisitive look on her face.

"nothing." jenna shook her head following after the nears girl as charley stayed closely behind. as the boy passed them at the bottom of the stairs maddie looked disappointed. she wanted him to be able to see her.