𝖾𝗉𝗂𝗅𝗈𝗀𝗎𝖾

000.
𝖾𝗉𝗂𝗅𝗈𝗀𝗎𝖾

Aegon sits in his seat with a heavy heart. Two years had passed since Lucaena had passed away in childbed, leaving behind two princes, one who would one day become the heir to the throne. However, the loss of his wife has left Aegon devastated, and he finds himself struggling to come to terms with the fact that she was gone.

He was all alone.

Aegon's small council gathered in the small council to discuss the future of the kingdom. The men in the small council, knew that it was essential for the king to remarry in order to produce more heirs. They had seen what happened to other kings when a king died without a clear successor, and they didn't want that fate to befall their own king.

"Your grace," one councilor speaks up, "we must discuss the matter of your remarriage. It is imperative that you produce more heirs to ensure the stability of the kingdom."

Aegon's eyes hardens as he looks around at his small council. "I will not remarry," he says firmly. "My need to remarry was ended by my late wife, and I will not dishonor her memory by taking another wife."

The councilors exchanges worried glances. They knew that Aegon's grief was clouding his judgment, but they also knew that the future of the kingdom was at stake.

"Your grace, we understand your grief," his grandsire says, "but the needs of the kingdom must come first. Without a clear successor, our kingdom is at risk of falling into chaos."

Aegon stood up from his throne, his voice booming through the throne room. "I said I will not remarry!" he shouts. "My son will be the heir to the throne, and he will rule after me. I will not put another woman through the pain and suffering that my wife went through. That is final."

The small council falls silent, knowing that there was no arguing with the king when he had made up his mind. They knew that Aegon was decent enough king, but they also knew that his grief had blinded him to the needs of the kingdom. They could only hope that he would eventually come around and see reason.

"Then we betroth Princess Jaehaera to Prince Rhaegar. Secure the line," one speaks up, staring at the hand. "If the king permits it of course. After all, his daughter and son would become queen and queen."

Aegon merely nods.

━━━━━━━━

Nobody knew how to react when the news reached king's landing.

The two presumed dead princes of Rhaenyra Targaryen were said to be alive and returning to take back what was rightfully theirs.

With fire and blood.

And them came the news of their dragons.

Dragons had been rare after the dance of dragons.

Otto Hightower, far from the man he was, ordered the king to call his banners and did them of the pretenders they were.

"Why are you saying they are pretenders?" Aegon shouts, finished with his grandsire's insisting. "Why would Aegon and Viserys be dead?"

Otto did not answer, and Aegon's eyes turned cold.

"Did you send the assassins I told you not to send?"