Wattpad Original
There are 56 more free parts

Chapter 26: Open Market

When Akira was initially told she'd be leading a mission to infiltrate Concordia, she figured she would be fighting for her life and the freedom of humanity. Instead, the Aegis Squad was almost on vacation as they toured the world on the military's budget, spending a month traveling through South Asia and down the east coast of Africa. Sure, acting as bodyguards for Sergeant Sam's propaganda tour was the advertised job description, but if Akira wasn't shooting or stabbing something, she felt like she was wasting her time.

Even if she wanted to fight, there was nowhere to go. Since the battle at Patna, Concordia, along with their allies, remained silent.

If anyone else in the Aegis Squad found it unusual, they didn't say. Instead, they roamed the bustling street of Nairobi, Kenya, with ease, ogling at the sights. Their only suspicions were internal as they cast wary glances at the chattering Danya and the quiet Navin.

Their latest topic of discussion, and their most frequently revisited one, was food. Danya was going on about the explosion of flavors in the beef mshikaki skewers she recently purchased from a street vendor—or rather, Akira purchased at Danya's request, since Danya didn't have money. Next to her, Navin diligently listened, nodding in agreement at the appropriate times. If Danya noticed the judgmental looks she received, she ignored them all and did what she liked.

Akira didn't realize she had been staring at the unlikely duo until Navin suddenly stopped, then shifted his gaze from the ground and to the side.

Beside them was a brightly painted concrete building about five stories high. Above its entrance, a sign with "CITY MARKET" printed in English flashed with gaudy illuminations; beneath it, a constant stream of locals entered and exited. Considering Navin's sensitive sight, it seemed like the last place he would want to visit, but it wouldn't be the first time Akira was proven wrong.

"Let's go in there," Danya suggested as she stopped alongside Navin, her distinct voice projecting clearly over the crowd.

Jivan, who was just about to rush ahead, stopped in their tracks with an exaggerated sigh of their shoulders before bitterly turning around. Just as they opened their mouth to release what was likely a sassy retort, their eyes briefly met Akira's. And even though Akira didn't do or say anything, Jivan's mouth closed into a pinched grimace before they faced Danya again.

"No, thanks," they forced out. "Go ahead; we'll wait here."

Akira had to restrain her own sigh at Jivan's obviously unwilling reply. Weeks ago, she asked them to at least attempt to be civil with Danya as a way to build camaraderie within their team, especially after Jivan's accusations in Izzy's lab. While Jivan was reluctant, they had a duty as her second-in-command to make sacrifices for the sake of their team, Akira reminded them, and they eventually agreed.

There was no way Danya could miss Jivan's clear disdain for her, but she easily shrugged. "Suit yourself. It just sounds like there's something in there that Navin would like."

Jivan's subsequent change in character rivaled Danya's in terms of speed and magnitude.

"Well, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to take a quick look," they said chipperly, suddenly keen on leading the way into the market.

"I'll wait outside," Quyen told Akira as the others went ahead. Her frown deepened at the crowded entrance. "Just call me when you're done."

Before Akira could question it, Quyen was gone.

Akira caught up with the others just as they entered the market, and they were instantly flooded by a tidal wave of colors, sounds, and smells.

On the inside, the five-story building was actually three, and only along the walls, leaving a fifteen-meter tall ceiling for the central vendors to display their wares high above the crowds. Bright sunlight filtered in through the windows above them, illuminating the building's dramatic parabolic ceiling arches and the stalls scattered beneath them.