** TWENTY-FIVE **

“Families are like fudge–mostly sweet, with a few nuts.”
— Les Dawson

******

                KHALID STOOD WITH his heart racing frantically in the ribcage of his chest. He could feel the thumping of his heart as he watched the minivan drive into his father's compound. He was nervous and the palm of his hand kept filling up with sweat.

Ever since his father told him about his friends visiting him, he couldn't help but anticipate their visit. The past few days since he heard the news felt like torture. He couldn't wait to see his friends, to hear their voices, to hold them in his arms and laugh with them. Most especially his best friend. He had been having dreams about him and he was really anxious to see him. He was actually the first person that came to his thought when his father mentioned them visiting.

He sat staring at the wall clock for hours that day, watching the time, waiting for their arrival. He knew when the school will close and he was certain that they won't be any sports practice after school. Jesse would give it up just to see him. He was certain about that. Jaime also won't let them wait for sports practice if they happen to change their mind. His time was really precious to him. And it was a good thing on his part.

The ride from school to the Abdul mansion will take approximately two hours forty-five minutes without traffic. And aside from the little traffic caused by the Traffic light, they weren't traffic on the main road. Another thing to be grateful for.

So all in all, they can't spend less than three hours and ten minutes to get to his father's mansion. That, he had calculated and was the thing keeping him sane.

Therefore, he was anticipating their arrival.

Now he stood in the huge space of the Abdul compound after running up from his room to the second floor where he could see the buildings around the mansion and also the quiet street and the front of the main gate that leads into the house. From there, he saw the familiar minivan that drives the Ninalowo kids to and fro school, waiting for the gate man to open it. His heart lept with joy at the sight of it. Then he ran to the compound just in time to see the minivan driving in.

The short drive into the large compound seems like forever. He stared at the vehicle moving in, tapping his feet repeatedly and slowly on the bricked floor and also biting the middle finger of his left hand. Then the car stopped a few meters away from him.

Unconsciously, he held his breath as the car door slides open.

He managed to take a step closer. The first thing that appeared was the feet snuggled in black Nike kicks which he has identical one. And he needed no one to tell him who it was. Hence, eliciting a light chuckle of relief from him. 

The owner of the sneaker finally stepped out of the car, looking the same as ever. Jesse was dressed in his uniform but his blazer was missing and his tie was pulled down, loosely.

"Goat," Jesse said, grinning at him.

Khalid let out a chuckle that sounds more like a cry of relief. And a wide grin spread across his face while his eyes grew teary.

The two boys moved to meet each other and they gave each other their signature handshake, chuckling. Then they embraced each other in a tight hug.

"Goat, I miss you so much." Khalid admitted quietly in his arms.

"I miss you more," Jesse responded and he sniffed back his tears, holding tightly to his friends as if his life depended on it.

Khalid let out a sob unable to control his emotions. He had never felt so relieved in his entire life from seeing someone. Someone will think that he was just seeing a lost brother after many years when it was just three weeks and a few days.