10 | sprouts

Jo

I'M PLEASANTLY SURPRISED to see Amanda lurking around my locker as soon as I get into the crowded hallway. She's dressed in high boots and a small, green, pretty dress—the kind Eloise usually wears— and her braids are high up in a knot in the middle of her head with two framing the sides of her face. She's leaning against my locker with a styrofoam cup in one hand while the other hand is texting on her phone.

"Hey," I say as soon as I get to my locker. She smiles and leans away so I can type in my combination. "Did Mrs Lenderman say something?" I ask while I force my locker open.

"Nope," she shakes her head as I pull some books out and run a chapstick over my lips in front of the small mirror I plastered to the locker at the beginning of the semester.

When I close the locker, she's handing the cup over to me. "I sort of collided with Flynn this morning and he told me to give this to you since we have our first class together. He was rushing somewhere, I think."

"Oh," I mumble as I take the cup from her. My brows furrow as I turn the cup around and stare at the cursive, 'Sprouts' written in the middle. He turned in his essay at exactly 6:02 a.m this morning so I certainly wasn't expecting a drink first thing today.

"It's from Sprouts, the new cafe? I had one this morning and I didn't want to leave." Amanda gushes and I take a sip immediately. "Mm," A soft groan leaves my throat immediately I taste it. The flavor explodes on my tongue and I look back at it like it's more than coffee. It tastes like heaven.

"Good, right?" She laughs and I nod frantically. I can't imagine how much loss Beans only will go through if half of the school finds out about this goodness in a cup.

"Oh," she says like she forgot something. "He also told me to tell you to peel the paper."

My brows furrow as I peel the paper that has Sprouts written on it and I'm confused at first until I turn it over and read the little, congested words written on it.

Fun fact: Pryce farts in her sleep.

"Are you okay?" I hear Amanda as I crumple the paper and toss it into the nearest trashcan.

"Sure." I squeak without looking at her.

"You're red."

"I think I might be having a fever." Or heartburn. Or maybe even an onslaught of embarrassment disguised as heat in my cheeks.

"Huh," Amanda says like she doesn't believe me. She tucks in her lips together and tries to hide her smile.

I give her a guarded look. "What?"

She returns it with an innocent look. "Oh, nothing," she tells me as we slowly walk to class together. "Ah yes, Cass's party's this weekend Jo. You promised."

I turn to her with a frown. "Not exact—"

"Jo," she groans and I take another refreshing gulp of coffee before meeting her pleading eyes again.

"I'm kidding. I'm going to be there."

"Yes!" She squeals excitedly and dips her hand into her bag before bringing out a card.