14. Blue Moon (An Original Chapter)

Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, and I traveled down to Melbourne for a week. They had a few close friends who lived there. Cleo was bummed out when I informed her that I would be out of town around the time her party went on. I had promised to bring her back a surprise gift to make up for my absence even though she didn't want me to trouble myself. But I was determined to find something that spelled her name. And the city of Melbourne was the perfect place to find a gift for Cleo.

Some hours after arriving, I needed to get out for a walk even though it had been a two-hour flight from Brisbane. Grandma accompanied me since she was familiar with part of the city we were staying in. When she learned of my determination to find Cleo a gift, Grandma offered to help.

"So, what type of gift are you hoping to get for Cleo, sweetheart?" Grandma asked as we walked past some of the shops.

"About anything that says her name," I answered as I gazed at the window of one of the shops, "We know she likes to dress up and loves her pet fish. And her favorite colors are purple, pink, and blue."

"We'll find something during our time here, even if we don't find it today."

Grandma and I browsed at some shops that looked like the type Cleo would browse around in. So far, I was able to find a purple cotton blouse that was in her size. It could be worn both for dressing up and casually.

"That looks like something she'd wear," Grandma smiled as I checked the price tag hoping I had enough money to buy it, "Let me buy it for Cleo."

"Are you sure?" I asked feeling worried that I was taking advantage of my grandma.

"I'm sure, Zoey. Cleo's already another member of our family in a spiritual sense."

Grandma purchased the blouse. I thanked her several times for helping me out.

"I could tell her it was a joint effort, that it was from the both of us," I expressed as we left the shop.

"There's no need to do that," Grandma shook her head, "It's the thought that counts."

We took a break at a small cafe that made me think of the Juice Net where we had a couple of berry smoothies.

Both Grandma and I decided to return to the townhouse we were staying at after looking around at a couple of other shops. We discovered a small bookshop and found a book Cleo would like, which I managed to purchase even though Grandma was willing to buy it.

"Heard you two went shopping," Grandpa smiled as we returned to the townhouse.

The TV was on which aired a black-and-white rerun of a sitcom that only my grandparents would know about.

"It was mainly gift shopping for Cleo," I nodded as I placed the shopping bag on the counter and sat on the sofa next to him.

"That's right. She'd be having her party at this point."

"She sounded disappointed when I told her that we would be outta town. Emma told me that Mr. Sertori and Kim often arranged Cleo's parties. She described them as being at a mini carnival for kids."

"They must be outrageous!"

"Most likely," I shrugged.

🌊

Later on, all of us had dinner with the friends of Dad and my grandparents. I was told that they met me once when I was small. I had no memory of meeting either of them.

Sometime after getting back to the townhouse, it was late and we were dead tired. I felt happy I was able to find a couple of gifts for Cleo. I hoped to find a few more for her. Like Grandma told me, the thought counts.