Chapter 18 - Confronting Axel

When Emma got downstairs and went back to her office she saw Axel sitting behind her desk with his arms propped behind his head smiling like he was really proud of himself. She slammed her door shut behind her harder than she had meant to. 

Then she turned to face him and crossed her arms, glaring at him. 

"Axel Hart," she growled. "How dare you?" 

His big smile faded. 

"What? Our conversation went really well. He loved me. Why do you look pissed off?" 

"Because. I don't want to get this partnership by lying. I want to get it because I fucking deserve it, because I work my ass off harder than anyone else, I close more deals and because I'm the best fucking person to run this company," she whisper shouted at him. She didn't want her colleagues walking by to hear her.  

Axel stood up and walked over to her, putting his hands on her shoulders and then rubbing up and down on her arms to calm her down. It wasn't working.

"AND you volunteered us to go on a fucking couple's retreat with my co-workers! Do you have any idea what kind of hell that's gonna be?"

"Hey," he said softly, picking up her hands in his and rubbing the tops of them with his thumbs. "Emma. Look at me."

She raised her eyes up and glared at him, with her heart pounding. 

"Why did you lie and say we're engaged? Why did you volunteer for us to go on that stupid couple's retreat with a bunch of people I can't stand without talking to me first?"

"Because you're right," he told her. 

"Right about what?" she asked, scrunching her eyebrows.

"You are the best fucking person to run this company and that should be enough, but unfortunately for your boss it's not. I didn't think it was fair that you wouldn't have a chance at being a partner just because you're single and don't have kids. You deserve that job Emma." 

"I know," she exhaled with frustration, letting go of his hands and pacing the floor, biting at her manicured fingernails. It was a bad habit she only did when she was really anxious. She took a deep breath in and let it out, trying to calm down her anger and beating heart but then a thought crossed her mind.  She stopped and looked over at him, narrowing her eyes.

"Why are you doing this Axel? Tell me the truth."

"Doing what?" he asked innocently.

"Trying to help me get this job. What's in it for you?"

"You're helping me become CEO of my Uncle's company and I just want to repay the favor. I don't have some hidden ulterior motive. I think we've hurt each other long enough Emma. I think it'd be nice if we start helping each other back and forth instead of always trying to get revenge on each other." 

He took a couple steps forward until he was right in front of her again and he rubbed his hands up and down her arms that were still crossed over her chest and tucked her hair behind her ear. Then she lifted her eyes and looked up at him.

"I'm done hurting you Emma," he said softly. "If me pretending to be your fiance gets you a partnership in this company then I'll feel like I made amends for all the pain I've caused you over the years. Maybe that'll help get rid of some of this guilt I've been carrying around."

She looked up into his eyes and studied them. 

"You really want to help me Axel? This isn't a trick where you go to the retreat and humiliate me in front of everyone I work with so you can make sure I don't make partner is it?"