CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: OUR NIGHTMARE

🪘🪘🪘

OUR NIGHTMARE

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything, but also, I owe it to him, giving our growing history together. I can only hope he doesn't hate me.

"You're visiting elsewhere?" He asked, and I could not help but narrow my brows.

"Visiting elsewhere... no, I meant I'm going back to the city." I watched him nod continuously in understanding as he looked away from me. It was obvious he still didn't understand what I was trying to say.

"I plan to leave before Chidera's wedding." And that was enough to get his gaze back on me. I waited for a word from him, but his silence lasted longer than I expected.

"Is it... Is it because of us?"

"No, it's not. I..." I lowered my eyes, trying to figure out the right words. "... recently, I have so much going on and I believe it'll be better once I'm away from this environment. I'm not sure it'll work, but I just have to try."

I watched him reach out and take hold of my hands in his. His hold was soft and warm, and I couldn't help sparing our hands a look.

"I understand you're a strong and independent woman, but more often than you know it, it helps to share your problems. Right now, I'm here and when you're hurt, it affects me too... Tell me, what is the problem?" Cergio asked, his eyes burrowing into mine, searching for a way to reach me. To be honest, he did, but I'm more than torn apart about telling the truth. I'm scared he'll see me as insane, strange, or probably end up wanting to stay away.

He's different. A voice in my head mentioned and, once again, I lowered my eyes from his. The truth will forever remain that I need help, and maybe talking about my nightmares might actually help. Besides, it's Cergio and... I should trust him.

A sigh left my lips as I lifted my eyes to meet his.

"Okay. The truth is... ever since I got to the village, I've... I've been having strange nightmares." I read his facial expression, but there was nothing that bothered me.

"What do you see in these nightmares?" He asked, and I really dreaded giving a reply to the question.

Steadily, I took in a deep breath, thinking about the words to use. "Often, a wedding recession, your death and a recurring masquerade."

"My death."

"See, this type of masquerades are on colorful strange costumes and they usually dance at funerals, during festivals..."

"Kasie." He called, disrupting my act of pretending like I didn't hear him mention his death. I want to steady my gaze with his, but I'm too worried to do that. I mean, who tells the man they like that every night, they have a nightmare about his death.

"It's okay... I understand." Cergio's voice was calm and nothing like I expected.

"You do? You don't think something horrible is wrong with me and you're not scared?"

I watched him lower his eyes for a second. "I understand because recently, I've been having a similar nightmare."

A frown appeared between my brows as my heart sank. It's happening again. "Y-you have? Since... I mean, how long have you been seeing these nightmares?"

"It started a few days ago, but..." I withdrew my hands from his and stood to my feet as panic was making its way into my thoughts and took a few steps away from him.

"In these nightmares, did I kill you? I mean, do you see my face on the person who kills you?" I had to ask, and the thought of the same thing repeating itself was driving me crazy.