CHAPTER 26 - SLIM HOPE

Luke's POV

'So, I have a question''

'Ask away' she replied in a sleepy voice as she lay on the bed. I sat at the reading table by the window trying to finish up an assignment.

''are you descendent from king Jaja?'

She turned to look at me with surprise. ''how do you know about him?''

I smiled smugly enjoying the curiosity displayed on my face. 'I love to read.'

I wouldn't say I am a fan of African literature, but I stumbled the story of young boy who rose from slavery to become one of the most respected kings in the southern Nigeria region. Any tale that has to do with power and conquering usually grabs my attention.

"What exactly did you read?' she asked on as she turned on her side to face me, seeming a little more alert now.

'Well..., that a slave boy rose to become a great and influential merchant, and then founded the Opobo kingdom even though he was not a native of the land.''

She smiled. "Tetura never let me forget that part. It was so annoying to hear her claim her tribe paved the way for mine.'' she chuckled.

'Who is Tetura?' I asked

"She was...she is my friend' she said softly. She cleared her throat a little and continued "So Tetura is Igbo and I'm Ijaw. History records that King Jaja is of Igbo origin but was enculturated into the Ijaw tradition during the slave trade era. Tetura argued that if Jaja never established opobo and made it popular, we wouldn't even be known. But it's not true. We existed and were doing just fine even before Jaja.''

"But he must have made great impact if history is making reference to him.' I pointed out.

"So were we. The fact that we weren't making a buzz didn't mean we were not making impact. We were just a quiet tribe minding our business'' she defended

Hmm''

''what? Don't tell me you agree with Tetura'' she said giving me a side eye.

'I don't even know Tetura' I said. 'But I think you should give king Jaja some credit. He rose to become a strong leader, and even gained the respect even of the British''

She shrugged. 'Maybe.''

I gave her a look of disapproval. ''You don't seem very pleased with your ancestor, and to think you have his name."

Her smile widened a little. 'I have nothing against him. I just wanted to win Tetura in that argument.''

'Wow, I must really look like Tetura'' I joked.

"Shut up" she whined and turned slightly the other way. I laughed at her.

'So are you?'

'am I what?' she sounded sleepy again.

'A royal'

She burst out into laughter. 'I wish. Oh no, Luke. I think my ancestors were more of fishermen than nobles.'

"Can you fish?' I queried.