Chapter 9

Ethan

I open Isabelle's door and poke my head out. When I don't spot Adelyn I walk out into the kitchen. I grab a mug from the cupboard and start some coffee.

I open the fridge to find something to eat. It's full of salads, smoothies, juices, water... never what I pictured Adelyn Daniels fridge to look like. She use to love junk food.

"Excuse me." Adelyn says.

I turn around, I step back and she grabs a smoothie from the fridge. I examine her outfit, Nike shorts and a tank top.

She use to hate wearing shorts. She was always so anxious some one would notice her scars.

Adelyn clears her throat, getting my attention.

"Sorry." I shake my head and pour the coffee into my mug. "Do you want some?" I ask.

"No." Adelyn responds.

I turn around to face her while I sip my coffee. "I should go. Since we're not allowed to be together and all." I chuckle slightly.

She tries to hide her smile as she opens the pantry. "You should."

"Why do I have to leave? Maybe you should." I tease.

Adelyn turns around with a raised eyebrow. "I live here."

"Hmm, true." I say.

"Good morning." Isabelle smiles walking out of her room in her pjs.

"Morning." Adelyn responds turning her attention back to the pantry.

I smile slightly in Isabelle's direction. "Happy ten months." Isabelle smiles kissing my cheek.

"We haven't been together ten months." I frown.

Isabelle nods. "Well... since we saw each other at that party."

Really? Ten months. Shit, that's a long time.

"True." I say and have another sip of coffee.

Isabelle turns to the fridge. Adelyn looks over at me trying to hold in her laugh.

She knows I'm not good at remembering dates.

"Isabelle, did you throw my coco puffs in the trash again?" Adelyn asks Isabelle changing the subject. "Yes, I did." Isabelle says grabbing a water from the fridge.

"Why?" Adelyn exclaims annoyed. Isabelle sighs. "Because you have a bowl every time you have a bad day and you seem to have a lot of bad days lately! It's not healthy to have bad days and I feel like you make yourself just so you can have coco puffs for dinner with an excuse." She rambles.

"What the fuck, Izzy." Adelyn sighs. "I'm not a child, if I want coco puffs let me eat my damn coco puffs."

Isabelle sighs. "I also don't want you to see your dad again and that's why I throw out your coco puffs."

Adelyn quickly turns away from me. "Isabelle, it's not your place."

Isabelle walks over to Adelyn. "Please don't see him again."

"When was the last time she saw him?" I ask.

Isabelle turns to me and shrugs. "Couple days ago."

Why? Why would she ever want to see him? After everything he put her through. It was so hard on her to get over him, why put herself through that?

"He's my father." Adelyn says. "Nobody can tell me if I should or shouldn't see him. It's my decision. I'm not some messed up teenager who doesn't know what she wants anymore. I'm strong and I know what I want." Obviously upset, Adelyn walks off to her room- making sure to slam the door behind her.

"Her Dad's a touchy subject. I shouldn't have mentioned him." Isabelle says turning to me.

Did Adelyn finally tell Isabelle about her father?

"Why don't you like Adelyn seeing her Dad?" I ask pretending to just make conversation.

"He's in jail for god knows what. Heck, Adelyn doesn't even know what. She's always kind of- touchy when she comes home from seeing him so I don't like when she goes to see him." Isabelle reasons.

"Oh, ok." I say.

I just cant help but wonder about Adelyn in this moment. Why would she go see him? After everything...

4 years ago

As I'm walking down the hallway on my way to class, I notice Adelyn rush into the girls restroom. Class has already started so I know no ones around.

"I have to check on her." I sigh before walking inside the bathroom. "Adelyn, it's me." I call walking inside.

"Go away, Ethan." She sobs.

"Adelyn, please. I can help." I say locking the door. "I don't want your help or your pity." Adelyn cries.

"If you don't come out, I have to break the stall door down and that will kind of be annoying." I say. "You know I'm serious, come out."

A few seconds pass before she walks out of the stall. When she sees me she breaks down even more. I walk over to her and pull her into my chest.

"It's ok." I say. "I'm here. Come on." I walk her out of the stall and over to the sinks.

"Please, talk to me. If not anyone else, talk to me." I say.

I can tell she's trying to calm down as her breathing starts to return to normal. I lift her up slightly onto the bathroom counter.

I grab some papertowel and run it under some hot water. "Come on, Adelyn. Talk to me." I say.

I reach up to tab the papertowel on her face, she flinches. I put my hand comforting on hers. I tab the papertowel on her face.

"I'm so scared, Ethan." She begins to cry again.

I nod. "I know."

"Once he gets out he'll come looking for me, he'll be so angry I betrayed him." Adelyn begins to sob.

"Hey, hey. You did not betray him, Adelyn. He betrayed you the minute he started-"

"Don't say it." Adelyn quickly says.

"I wasn't going to." I whisper.

Adelyn looks up at me. I get lost in her gorgeous brown eyes. "Kiss me." She breathes out.

"Adelyn, not now." I say softly.

Adelyn continues to stare at me. She pulls me in and our lips touch. They begin to move in sync.

I should pull away, but I can't.