16 ; the hunt for scabbers

"You know, the one you left after you killed my parents

"You know, the one you left after you killed my parents."

As the very last rays of the setting sun shone on Harry's face, he stood there, taking it all in. There was no sense of clarity, how could they have done such a thing? He was in a flurry of emotions: regret, sorrow, and anger.

Harry tore his gaze away from the bloody light shining over the long-shadowed grounds, and focused it on the two people behind him.

There they stood, Atlas and Liliana, hugging. Harry wasn't sure why he felt a twinge of anger when his gaze fell upon them when he'd just felt the biggest wave of grief at hearing Buckbeak's execution. Yet, there he was, irritated, unaware of the scowl on his face or the glare he was sending Atlas's way.

But there was a reasonable explanation for his sudden anger: it had to have been because of the unfairness of the situation that had just occurred. Because it would be inappropriate to think it was the fact that Liliana's arms wrapped around Atlas's neck and her head resting on his shoulder made Harry want to turn away, right?

Or maybe it was because of how hard they'd worked for it to be tossed away. Because it couldn't be that it made Harry's blood boil at the thought that Atlas was the one comforting her, the one being her shoulder to cry on....

He'd been her friend longer, known her longer, so it would only make sense that he should be the one consoling her, that he had a right to feel angry, right? No, Harry argued in his mind, I'm upset because of Buckbeak, only Buckbeak, he kept repeating to himself.

But deep down, a part of him didn't want to acknowledge that as he looked at her, as he saw the glimmer of tears on her cheeks, that he wished he were the one comforting his best friend.

"Harry, you okay?" Ben asked.

Harry shrugged whilst shaking his head to rid it from the intrusive flood of irritation he was feeling. "Are you okay?"

"Not sure how I can be," Ben muttered, staring out into the distance.

Harry nodded.

The pair stood in silence for a few moments, as though they were reflecting on every single emotion that had just washed over them in the past few minutes.

Staring out into the horizon, Harry was unaware that Ron, Hermione, Atlas, and Liliana had made their way towards him and Ben until he heard Hermione whisper, "How could they?" Her breathing was uneven and shallow.

"Because they're gits," Ben replied with gritted teeth. "And if they'd only ー"

However, in that moment they heard a wild howling behind them, cutting through Ben's sentence.

"Hagrid," Harry muttered. Without thinking about what he was doing, he made to turn back, but both Ben and Ron seized his arms.

"We can't," said Ron, his face paper-white. "He'll be in worse trouble if they know we've been to see him..."