x. saving enola holmes

Tewkesbury and I sat in the apartment, silence reigning over our heads as we mulled over what had happened. Mugs of tea sat in our hands, long gone cold in the silence. My mind was racing—what would happen to Enola?

It had been about an hour since we had left her, an hour of uncertainty and questions. Tewkesbury and I had scaled off into the crowd right after Enola had sacrificed herself. The man in the bowler hat was sure to follow, so we stuck to the main roads, and lost ourselves in the crowds of London.

It would have been enjoyable, if it weren't for the hitman assigned to murdering Tewkesbury and the loss of Enola. We had only gone back to the shop once we were sure the man in the bowler hat was not following.

And now, here we are, mulling over the events of what had happened today.

"Well, we're going to find her." I said pointedly, remembering my last words to Enola before she was swept away.

"That's for sure." Tewkesbury replied, sipping his tea and furrowing his brows. "I'm just now exactly sure how."

"Loop back to every single conversation we've had with her." I rubbed my temples. "We might find some clue as to where she'll be headed."

It seemed like hours before we finally came up with a reasonable explanation to as where she might have been forced to go. Tewkesbury had madly tried to remember all the events on the first night we met—when we slept under the stars and ate a feast of plants, courtesy of Tewkesbury.

"Octavia, I remember something. She...she said that she ran away because she didn't want to go to a finishing school." He muttered, closing his eyes in concentration.

"That gives us a possible location." I began. "But there are at least 5 finishing schools in this area-we're gonna have to dig deeper."

"Mrs. Harshaw's Finishing School?" He furrowed his brows. "No...it began with Miss..."

"Miss Harrison's Finishing School!" I shouted, memories flooding back from when Enola mentioned the school in a sour tone.

"Yes! Yes that's it." Tewkesbury smiled, punching the air in delight. His eyes met mine, and I saw a glimmer of mischief in his eyes.

"I have a plan."

-

"This is a terrible plan." I muttered, pushing a cart with force. On the cart, was a simple, plain basket. Big enough for a human to fit in.

"Do we have any other ideas?" A voice sounded from inside the box. Tewkebsury moved around, opening the lid of the box, revealing his tossed up hair. "And i'll have you know, this is how I met Enola. Disguised myself in a bag, and revealed myself to Enola on the train. Right before the bowler hat man came and before we met you."

I huffed, panting as we neared the school. Nature surrounded us, and the dirt road ahead was empty, leaving me free to converse with Tewkebsury without arising suspicion.

"Alright...we're here." I mumbled, gazing at the cleared area, where a lone building sat. Even from here, I could smell the stench of misery emitting from the school.

Tewkebsury peeked up from the basket, glowering at the building with fierce determination in his eyes. He nodded, and closed the lid of the basket.

I attempted to look my nicest, plastering a smile on my face and making my movements as dainty as possible.

A man stood at the front of the school, his eyes suspiciously glancing at me and my cargo.