iii. curiouser and curiouser

"You said that we could leave him stranded? More like leave us stranded." I grumbled, my legs aching and head pounding after walking so long on unsteady ground.

"I guess it is better then being murdered on a train though." Tewkesbury added as an afterthought. "But who even are you people?"

"Seeing as we're going to be stuck with each other, I guess it's fit to introduce myself." I piped. "Octavia Corbynn. Regular and ordinary citizen from London, who just so happened to get herself stuck in an irregular and unordinary situation."

He nodded, and turned his gaze onto the girl disguised as a strange-looking boy. "And you? I believe our recent brush with death deserves us a name, at least."

The girl in disguise sighed, relenting at last. "Enola Holmes." She muttered, staring at the ground, slightly lost in thought.

I widened my eyes. Holmes? Now that was a name i'd heard of before. This was a relative of the great detective Sherlock Holmes.

"Holmes? As in Sherlock Holmes?" Tewkesbury quizzed further, his eyes bright with curiosity.

Enola cursed, annoyed with herself. "And i'm undercover, do forget I told you that piece of information."

The pieces of the puzzle finally clicked together.

"Ahh, undercover from Sherlock Holmes?" I asked, as she nodded and straightened her waistcoat. "That explains the boy's getup you're in. I was wondering why a girl would be hiding in pants and a shirt."

She whizzed her head around, furrowing her brows. "Is my disguise really that horrible? Tewkesbury figured it out in 10 seconds flat." She took her hat off, revealing her long hair tied into a bun, she straightened her hair before donning it with the hat once more.

"Well, Enola isn't exactly a boy's name now, is it?"

"...Fair point, Octavia." She muttered, falling quiet and gazing off into the distance once more. It didn't last long, however, as she shoved her arm across, blocking me and Tewkesbury from walking any further.

"Neither of you are to say nothing about me being a girl." She growled, eyes blazing and face burning with ferocity. "Hear me?"

"We hear you." I gulped, nervous. Tewkesbury nodded. I imitated a walking motion, attempting to get Enola to let her arms down. Instead, she growled once more.

"So?"

"So what?" Tewkesbury cocked his head nonchalantly, shaking his golden curls away from his framed face.

"Thank you?!" Enola raised her voice, pointing an arm behind us, where we had left the train. "You're supposed to say thank you!"

"Thank you, Enola Holmes." I swiftly intervened, shoving an elbow into Tewkesbury's stomach and gliding in between the arguing pair.

"Ow! What was that-" I glared at him, angrily signalling the train and how she had saved us. He blinked, cocking his head once more and furrowing his brows.

"Uh, thank you?" He nervously squeaked behind me as Enola huffed and started to travel through the grasslands once more.

Tewkesbury glanced at me with confusion before following suit.