CHAPTER FIVE (Part One)

CHAPTER FIVE

Later that afternoon Pricilla entertained family members in the drawing room with her singing and piano playing. Rosalind was impressed with the child’s accomplishments.

     Sir Leopold and Mr Cedric were obviously appreciative too, and showed it to Pricilla’s delight.

Melissa on the other hand kept a sour face throughout. She was a pretty young woman but given to affections of manner, Rosalind noted. She was obviously jealous of the attention being paid to her younger sister.

‘Papa, Brice Thomas is to call on me tomorrow afternoon,’ Melissa said loudly to Cedric as soon as Pricilla had finished playing a rather lovely piece by Chopin. ‘It’s my wish he remains for dinner.’

‘Fine young man is Brice,’ Cedric said, nodding.

‘A fine gentleman,’ she agreed and then glanced archly at Rosalind. ‘I do not think it proper, Papa, for a servant to sit at the same dinner table as the only son of one of the biggest and richest landowners in the district.’

‘What’s that?’ Sir Leopold asked sharply.

‘Rosalind is not real family, Grandfather,’ Melissa said plaintively. ‘In fact she’s no more than a servant. Brice is paying particular attention to me of late. What will he think of us to allow servants to sit at the dinner table?’

‘I’ll conduct my household as I see fit, Granddaughter,’ Sir Leopold said scowling and rising to his feet. ‘If he doesn’t like it Master Brice can take his attentions elsewhere.’ With that Sir Leopold strode out.

Melissa looked momentarily crestfallen and then rallied, glaring at Rosaline. ‘That was your fault. You have angered my grandfather.’

Rosalind said nothing. There was no point in arguing with her especially in front of her father.

‘I’m sure Brice is not petty-minded,’ Cedric said. ‘And Rosalind is not a servant, Melissa. Please remember that.’

With a toss of her curls and ringlets and a sharp rustle of her skirts, Melissa swept from the room.

‘I don’t want to cause friction, Mr Cedric,’ Rosalind said quietly. ‘I’ll eat in the servants’ hall.’

‘No!’ Pricilla exclaimed. ‘I want you by my side, Rosalind. You are my only friend.’

Rosalind laughed. ‘I’m sure that’s not true.’

‘It may well be true,’ Cedric said.

‘Surely there are other children of well-to-do families in the area?’

Cedric nodded. ‘Yes, but their parents seem reluctant for them to call on us at present.’ His face took a haunted look and Rosalind felt sorry for him. He gazed fondly at his youngest daughter. ‘Life can be so unfair.’

After dinner, at which Pricilla was allowed to attend, she was summarily ordered to bed by Mrs Gilbert. Rosalind decided to retire to her bedroom, too. She had much to think about and to decide.

     Since returning from the village earlier and learning the true situation at Cliff House she was dubious about staying on any longer.

     She was convinced that had her father known the truth he would never have asked for Sir Leopold’s patronage for her. She felt that Daisy Bream had been right in saying that scandal would rub off.

While she was no prude or proud, she did have strong opinions about morality. If she stayed she felt she would be condoning immoral behaviour. Her father would not have approved.