31 | the one in which you're it.

There was a buzzing of Punjabi songs playing in the background

There was a buzzing of Punjabi songs playing in the background. The reception hall was an open ground. Fairy light was draped across the sky from the corners of the hall, rotating in the centre and falling down like diamonds of a chandelier. The stage was made for royals. The chairs to the velvet curtains hung behind it screamed royalty. On the stage, the bride and groom stood, joining hands and welcoming people who came to bless them and wish on the stage with a photograph.

Several cameramen were roaming in the hall, capturing the moments of the wedding night. I and Saloni did our best to avoid being captured. A crime master never leaves behind proof and so we would hook arms and runaway anytime a person would try to approach us or when a cameraman came our way.

The thing with Indian marriages was that it was a series of an event full of chaos. You cannot keep a count of the people who show up. And you definitely cannot keep a count of how many people are standing in the line of the buffet.

"How many golgappe can you fit in your mouth at once?" I whispered to Saloni. She giggled and tiptoed to reach the air around my ears. "Three at once."

"Wah, you're a demon."

"A foodie, you mean." She huffed, making a correction for addressing herself. I chuckled. She was so adorable. Being all brave and bold now, when minutes ago she was rocking back and forth on her heels, anxious about crashing this wedding.

Soon we reached the snacks counter and without creating any suspicious movement or so, we took two plates of golgappe. We made our way to a little corner of the reception hall, away from the people who would pry into asking us on whose side did we come from.

"One plate has just three pieces? This is one morsel for me." Saloni sighed and I laughed heartily. "It's okay. If you want more you can have mine."

"I hope there is more food here." She said, pushing in two golgappes at once into her mouth. I fucking loved this woman. She munched like a squirrel, quickly eating the food in her mouth. "I'm more interested in the sweet dishes. I wish there is some ice-cream or maybe halwa." I said, placing my food into her plate and she grinned at me heartily.

"We need to get first to the paneer dishes before we make our way to the sweets." She shook her finger at me. "That's the proper way of eating at a wedding."

"Is that so?" I quirk an eyebrow at her and she nods. "Then we better finish eating the starters, I see some of the bharati's children finishing all the good stuff."

"Fucking kids!" Saloni cussed and then pushed the remaining pieces of food, into her mouth. She discarded the paper plates into a nearby trashcan and then held my hand. "Let's go beat some kids."

"For sure." I grinned at her.

She was it.

***